Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1722 Rosa Americana HalfPenny BREEN 132, 12 KNOWN EXAMPLES

steelheadwill

Hi all,
trying to stay ahead of construction at the old farm site,
they keep building new homes that are all empty and unsold on historic farmland.
so I did some digging while the snow was falling.
ran into an iron patch on 'lot 26', next site to be cleared.
all recoveries were from small area shown in last pic.
4 coins, several buckle pieces, & 4 buttons in this tiny plot.
One button is a very early cast geometric floral.

The LCs were sandwiched back to back, but fell apart when removed from the dirt, 1816 & 1818 I believe.

A rather smooth farthing, but I'm comfortable IDing it as a 1700 William III.

My first iron shoe buckle,
along with the rather uniquely styled broken bronze frame, and some fragments.

several pewter spoon pieces.

The Rosa is an odd coin, halfpenny value, but size and weight of a modern nickel.
'Bath metal' alloy. copper, zinc and some SILVER.
When I saw the bust I knew Woods had made these, looks the same as his more common Hibernia series.

"Breen-132, Ex. rare 1722 1/2P Rosa Americana Halfpenny, VTILE DVLCI" ." The obverse legend is GEORGIUS.DEI .GRATIA.REX. The reverse legend is ROSA AMERI:VIILE.DVLCI.1722"
Breen calls this the ''First Prototype Halfpenny'' and a "a very rare issue, with fewer than a dozen or so known"

This is my rarest coin find, and my best condition 18th Century 'Copper' ..

I'm glad I didn't clean this one as it looks to be pretty solid under the dirt :)
I included Two pics of each side followed by example photos.
https://picasaweb.google.com/113419939163637200161/1722ROSAAMERICANAHPBREEN132EXTREMELYRARE?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thanks for looking and HH All ! Herbie.

Wow!! Way cool coin!! Just wondering what state you're in?? Must be a fine hunting site.

thats some some good huntin there..... i love that old stuff... its a shame they are building homes on it ... at least thats one good thing about the slow economy -these types of spots arent disapearing as fast as they used to .....hope you find alot more before its off limits... happy huntin...

Thanks everyone :bouncy:
I'm diggin in NH, we got soft ground under the leaf cover,
Hope it stays that way for a while.
HH Everyone :cheers:

thats to badd its being built up . great finds, almost like what u may see in the UK.