Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

180? Draped Bust ???

Hello All: Was out today at a new location. The area was home to 3-4 homes and a school, at this cross roads shown on my 1892 map. Now it's about an half hour hike into the woods from the last paved road. So my 705 and I went walking. The first site I hunted, house on the corner had been re-use/re-built. Nothing left but the stone foundation and trash. Only keeper find was a old spoon. So on to site 2, last used as an Sugar house (tell tale buckets rusting all over the place). Another spoon and a neat copper Sugar Tap. Then heading back to the trail sweeping along the stone wall my first good TID a solid 36. So after cutting through the maze of roots out pooped the coin. I could tell it was quarter size but was so crudded could not tell anything else. Into my pocket it went and homeward. After soaking in olive oil an hour and with a little soft brushing with a tooth brush. I can make out the Bust of a lady and 18XX for the date. With her facing right it looks like she is a 1804-1807 Draped Bust Quarter. A couple of quick photo and back into the oil she went. There is a layer of crud on her that might come off and better photos can be taken.

My question to all is what is the best way to clean her??? Keep her in oil, or try some other way to clean her. She's my first low 1800 coin so She'll more that likely stay with me , unless she something worth $$$$ to keep my hobby going

I would use a brass brush and some Dawn. If you look at my post below you'll see a before and after picture of using a brass brush on an Indian that I had just found. You couldn't even see the Indian in the before picture. Although they make a nice brass coin brush I used a brass brush from a set of 3 brushes that I bought at Harbor Freight. Just be careful because the Harbor Freight brushes start to lose their bristles after just a few uses and you won't want to use them in an area where they will come off and get stuck in the carpet, your clothing or worse, in an area that you will have food or drink close to.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1781138