Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1802 Real, 1772 Half Real Converted to Cuff Link, 5 Coppers, Shoe Buckle, Brass Bell

Ahab8

Life's been a bit crazy lately with the holiday and work and me wrecking my truck. Finally got to a spot that I've always wanted to check out yesterday. It just screams colonial settlement because of it's characteristics. A flat point that sticks out into a river with easy access to the ocean. Only problem is that there's no history that says there was anything and it's a very long trek. Being 12 degrees I figured the walk might warm me up lol. First good hit was a toasted copper. Random drop. Then I came to a creek and found a small stone bridge. First hit there was a nice brass bell. Then I got a nice low 80s hit on the T2 SE at decent depth and pulled a small button. I thought it odd that it rang up so high and was hoping it was silver. I'll get to that later. Walked down the rivers edge a bit and found a button and a small pewter piece. Then got a great signal 8-10" down. It was all if that if not more. Out popped a beautiful 1802 Real. Pretty psyched as I haven't found Spanish silver for awhile. The next good signal was a complete shoe buckle. My 4th complete in just over a year. Decided to call it a day and head home. I rinsed the button that rang up high and it was a 1772 Half Real concerted into a Cufflink or button. One of my favorite finds to date.
Hope you all have a fantastic 2015 guys, Abe

What a great adventure! That Coin button is really special...Man, thats some old dirt there!:clapping: Nice work and post! Wonder what could be in the water downstream from that bridge?
Mud

Great story...the way you told the story i felt i was right along with you... playing your hunch really paid off...that is a spot i certainly would return to ... must have been something significant going on there if someone took the time to build a bridge...congrats on some really cool finds...

Thanks guys. I think this is going to be a very special place. Best part is that nobody would have hunted it. And not far away there was at least two early 1600s homesteads. I'm really wanting to check those out at some point....but the snow came today

Fantastic day in the cold! The coin cuff button is a great example of using what they had at hand to fill a need.

Very nice indeed

Abe, great finds! I really like the Spanish silver. The coin worth half Real is very curious, has the letters of the testers and the mint upside down, this increases the value lost by welding.
The buckle and the bell are two very goods finds too
thanks for sharing

senda said:
Abe, great finds! I really like the Spanish silver. The coin worth half Real is very curious, has the letters of the testers and the mint upside down, this increases the value lost by welding.
thanks for sharing
Good eye! The coin looked counterfeit to me in the first place but I totally missed that somehow.

Ahab8 said:
senda said:
thanks for sharing
Good eye! The coin looked counterfeit to me in the first place but I totally missed that somehow.

A counterfeit wouldn't be made from silver - there would be no point to that. It would be made from junk metal to look like silver, which your detector would likely reveal.

-pete

PSS1963 said:
Ahab8 said:
senda said:
thanks for sharing

A counterfeit wouldn't be made from silver - there would be no point to that. It would be made from junk metal to look like silver, which your detector would likely reveal.

-pete
They often used a very low grade of silver or some sort of mixture with silver in it. Or the used a copper or brass base and simply silver plated them. But the 1772 and 1773 Spanish silver commonly had an upside down mint mark and assayer mark and is not considered an error by most.

Yes, I agree. I think they are "normal" these errors, I'm no expert, but I've seen several ... consultare a book. I do not think that is false ...
Senda

Those are some mighty nice finds and would make a great day for anyone. Most would be happy if they only found one of the reals in a year. I've found shoe buckle frames, but never a complete one. Looks like it paid off to hike and you also have a spot you can spend more time at. Way to go.

I found your half Real in my book; is correct and authentic. There were two prints for this year, with reversed letters and letters in the correct position. I think they realized near the end of the roll, and very few correct because the value of catalago is, 70 correct and 20 inverted. But this does not remove any value to find, they are just curiosities.
Senda

senda said:
I found your half Real in my book; is correct and authentic. There were two prints for this year, with reversed letters and letters in the correct position. I think they realized near the end of the roll, and very few correct because the value of catalago is, 70 correct and 20 inverted. But this does not remove any value to find, they are just curiosities.
Senda
Thank you! My research came up with the same info. I appreciate you checking it out for me