Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1803 large cent

grunt0311

A few weeks ago I posted pictures of the two large cents I found. Turns out the 1803 has a large date with a small fraction.
My red book says AG is valued at $2400. My coin is definitely corroded but is definable. Had a dealer tell me it was worthless.
I'm not sure how to grade a coin with corrosion but seems like it should have some value to it. I realize red book is not the final
word for value but from $2400- 0 is hard to swallow. Any help or suggestions would be kindly appreciated...

Most coin dealers are only out to make a quick buck. They are not your friend when it comes to buying or selling coins.
Its worth more then nothing as after all it is a at-least worth a cent. :thumbup:

If you really want to see what some might pay for it post it on Ebay. Your reaching out to millions of people and you might be surprised.
Heck, list it here in the Misc. classifieds and see what someone might offer you.

Heck look at this coin people where bidding on. It sold. ( not my ad btw)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1803-DRAPED-BUST-LARGE-CENT-US-COPPER-COIN-AG-LEGIBLE-DATE-DAMAGED-HOLE-FILLER-/231252979201?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35d7c06e01

Dealers are good at lowballing what they might end up buying from you. I'm sure he would be happy to take it off your hands for $100 and then turn around and list it for lots more.
Neal

I would think you could get 2400 for it easy. just my opinion.

Figured I would try ebay with one of the coins this dealer had a chance to buy. He wanted to pay me
$65-100 for the Vermont copper I found a couple of months back. Well it sold on ebay for $275.00.
I think it was worth a little more but I'm not greedy. Going to try the 1803 large cent next. So lesson learned
by me and I hope Shawn Yancey of Mo. also...

Ebay is your best route - I've been collecting since I was 6 and learned real quick how most of them operate! Did you end up selling the 1803 Lg cent?

Hello Grunt, I brought a very rare and valuable coin I dug to a dealer to get an appraisal proof it was real, It was submitted to W&E best finds for the year.
This shop is supposed to be a "reputable" PCGS dealer the guy is been there same locating for years family owned business and so on.
After his appraisal I wanted the coin sent out to be slabbed so no arguing or shady low ball jackass moves.
Never telling this bozo guy coin was dug he kept spitting out oh no you don't need that, persistent as i am finally he refused to do it, I am more than willing to pay fees insurance.
The coin according to the Red Book in 2002 prices started at $2500 knew good and well it would grade Fine or better the prices are in the thousands, the guy looked at coin called his father over to see and with out any doubt it was genuine and in his excitement he said oh yes this will grade Fine12.
Now here come the fun, I really played stupid he started asking me if I would sell it, of course how much is a single silver coin worth? He throws a number of 1k at me and i kept the straight face! Wow really? That much? Are you sure that much? I took out his copy of his red book in his shop opened up to my coin and casually mentioned would you like my car? keys to my home? How about a kiss Before trying to and to f:-O:-O:-O ME?
Never went back and I did get it graded by and slabbed by PCGS a different dealer, yea amazing, about 3 years ago it graded fine.
I write this because most coin dealers are here to make money not most ethical.
oh yea I took out coin to a few dealers before grading this was the offering one was gold coins nice! Flat out cash of $6k of of course Casually declined! I would prefer a smaller mom and pop coin shop, have them give you a value don't revel coin was dug cool find congrads.

Michael