Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1805 coin 1 real

littlenugget

Hello, i have this coin, its a a silver 1805, carlous IIII 1 REAL i didnt found it with my x terra 705 , i bought from a friend of my brother for 10 dollars i was wondering whow much is it worth

thanks

I just googled it and there are several on there. Spell it reale instead of real. Hope this helps.

One in similar condition recently sold on Ebay for $18 shipped.

And now the history.

Spanish coins where legal tender in the US until 1857. The 8 reale coin was worth one dollar. The two reale coin was worth 25 cents (2 bits) . Your coin would have been worth half that or 12.5 cents in 1805.

See the two bars with the ribbon on one side of the coin. Now look at the $ sign. The real dollar sign had two bars and the draped ribbon forms an S shape. This is not coincidence. The dollar sign is a convienient way to represent those two bars and the ribbon on the Spanish reale coin.

This is one of several theories on where the $ sign came from. An alternative is that it was corrupted from S and P overlaid on each other, on the coin denoting peso. The Spanish word for Spain does not begin with S so that seems doubtful to me. It would have been E and P.

There is your history lesson from a coin.

HH 1859

Hi ,
nice old coin
IMHO its in pretty good shape so it could be worth up to $40