Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

***1809 US Half Cent Appears Double Strike on Liberty Head Bust***

coinworld

I was out digging with my buddy Dave on Saturday to our pounded CW battle site/camp in Virginia and had a fantastic day for late March with my XP Deus; I dug 9 flat buttons, 1 dropped. .56 cal 3 ringer and the my first old coin with the XP-an 1809 US Half Cent with a Double Strike on the Liberty Head bust of the coin. This coin locked on solid 80 on the XP at about 4 inches. Any of you coin experts out there-know how rare is this 211 year old 1809 half cent? Thanks

Wayne

Attachments

• 1809 hslf cent in the field .jpg
    1809 hslf cent in the field .jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 284
  • 1809  half cent cleaned .jpg
    1809 half cent cleaned .jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 263
WOW that's a cool find.
Hope you find out more about it.

Nice never seen a double stamped copper befor i would rinse the dirt off it and get it authenticated and graded!

Well that’s different. I like it

I was out digging with my buddy Dave on Saturday to our pounded CW battle site/camp in Virginia and had a fantastic day for late March with my XP Deus; I dug 9 flat buttons, 1 dropped. .56 cal 3 ringer and the my first old coin with the XP-an 1809 US Half Cent with a Double Strike on the Liberty Head bust of the coin. This coin locked on solid 80 on the XP at about 4 inches. Any of you coin experts out there-know how rare is this 211 year old 1809 half cent? Thanks

Wayne
I'm not an expert, but it appears to be an illusion(at least in that condition). The 1809 was the 1st year for the "classic head" and had 2 known errors that year. The 1st was a 9 stamped over a 6 and the 2nd type has a small o inside the zero. I agree with Sasquatch and would have it professionally looked at and appraised. The coin book I looked at has it listed between 60-105 dollars in any of the first 4 grades, and w/o the environmental damage....who knows. Mine is an 1806 (draped bust) Super congrats on your rare find(s) and give an update on what happens.

Pat2284, when you say "illusion", are you referring to a numismatic term or are you using the literal definition? It looks pretty darn real to me. :)