Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1850 virgin awaiting my Discovery 3300

kydigger

I have permission to to do whatever I want at this 1850's house.
the owner says anything I find is mine.
I've only had a chance for a quick drive by.
From all appearances, the property has never been hunted.
No one has lived here in quite a long time.

Besides the house, there is a barn and a couple of acres of tilled ground.
The current own tells me that the original description of the property included 5 slaves.
There are several trash piles, the remnants of an outhouse and other very interesting prospecting sites.
There is a pile of returnable coke botttles on one of the trash heaps, indicating that the area has not been disturbed for years.

As a newbie, it seems like I have discovered a "training ground" where I can hone my skills in just about every aspect of the hobby for many days to come.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4396898530_300daf56d3.jpg
Damn, I can't wait till spring!!!!

Just a tip.

Look for a rock, or a tree by itself, or something that may have been used to mark a place where the owners way back might have hidden money or coins. I know back in the 1800's farmers and folks of that era had hidden their money because they were afraid of banks getting robbed, or someone robbing their homestead. Before your start searching, use a marker of some type to mark mark an area you question. (those little orange flags you can get at Menards or a hardware store work great!! :surrender:)
Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

That's good advice on both accounts.
I like the flags idea. Especially, since I'm sure I'll be coming back to this site again and again.
I feel blessed to have come upon such a fine site so early in my new hobby.
I'll certainly keep everyone posted on what I find.

Ron

Your lucky!
In Minnesota, you can't use MT's in state or city parks, or any land that is owned by the government. Being we are in the middle and upper part of the USA, we don't have the history as with the southern states and coast line land areas. I have tried asking permission on a couple of times on farmlands, a few private land owners, and have gotten turned down. I even typed up a promise note to give to the people that I will respect there land, dig and cover my holes as best I can, even remove any trash I find. Still got turned down. I would love to search that old homestead you got permission for. I bet you gonna find some cool stuff!
The home looks pretty run down, so I suppose the owners don't care if you damage it a little, if it's has wood floors, and you can get under them, there may be some cool finds there also. You may think I am nuts, but I would scan some of the wall also, like in a closet or something. People have found hidden stuff in homestead walls. Open your mind to that if something can be hidden, it can be found.

I figure, if there is anyplace that something can fall into, get pushed into, buried. or hidden in, check it out.
Hope you have a blast!!

You better believe I'll be searching every nook and cranny of this old house and the land surounding it.

Drummerman, you're right. I am lucky.
I am an insurance agent for Westertn & Southern Life.
I was given an account of clients to service plus I am constantly meeting new people. In my business, I meet people in their homes. Many of those home are early 1900s or even late to mid 1800s.
Every client I have asked about MDing thir property has said yes.
Couple that with the fact that I live in an historic area and I have an almost endless supply of private property to search.
.I have permission to hunt a farm in Ohio that has been owned by the same family since to 1800s.Unlike the site above, the farm and home in Ohio are in beautiful shape. Of course, that may actually
a negative.(LOL) At this site, also, I can keep whatever I find.

I'm visiting my virgin for the first dig tomorrow. It will mostly be a scouting expedition. I'll be taking my camera and video camera. I'm seriously thinking about making a video documentary.
I'll keep you all posted on what I find.
I can't wait to get started.

Hey Ron.........need any help???

If she was a woman of ill repute, she was a cheap one. I only had a couple of hours. I did some exploring and some spot detecting.
I found a couple of little metal cars, a pocket knife, various other non descript stuff and pennys everywhere. To be more specific, everywhere I looked, I dug pennys, 30 of them all toll. Saddly, they were all memorials. The only other coin I found was a nickel.
I'm headed back this weekend. I know there has to be some great finds here. Its just going to take some work.
I'll keep you posted.

:usmc:

Interesting is the two chimneys at each end of the house. I think it possible this would be an indicator of how old this house is. Maybe 1930's into the 50's. The tin roof also may have replaced wood shingles or felt paper roof in more recent years so you may hit on some roofing nails. The old junk piles sound as if they may have been more modern but some people do set up sifting screens to screen out junk piles for possible collectibles and the finds will tell you a great deal as to how well they lived there. The junk or trash piles I would look for would be the ones much more deteriorated or rusted away and are mostly or covered by dirt.

I've seen a lot of run down homes occupied by the welfare types and they normally get trashed out. I would not be surprised if this one had been lived in within the last 10 years and explains the toy cars and memorial pennies. The trash piles may even be that modern. It still looks like it will have some potential for good finds but will take some working it out and going on some hunches.

not to get off the subject but dont get discouraged be persistant and keep looking there has to be atleast one good coin or relic there unless its been hunted before there is a lot of ground there and for someone to have gotten everything is unlikely.i live in upstate new york and the winter here just finally ended. i bot out yesterday and with persistance came away from a 1879 home here in my city with an 1901 indian head penny a 1944 wheat and a 1910 boyscout good luck token along with numerous pulltabs and newer pennies good luck the good stuff is still there