Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1864 2 cent coin

u2robert

Went back to the hunted out place using the 6" coil.
I was hunting an area with a lot of exposed roots so it was slow hunting then bam 22 on the Nox clear and distinct.
4-5 inch's down next to a root was this coin a 1864 2 cent coin ( my first)
From what I read this coin has two sizes small motto & large motto
Can anyone tell if this coin is small motto or large?

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    788.5 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 188
Kind of hard to determine by the photo, but to me looking at some of the letters, it looks like the large motto.
Here is a photo of both versions...
Not a lot of difference in the two sizes in my opinion.
Also, there is no stem on the large motto version.
The small motto is more rare according to my book.
I forgot to add.... great find and as far as I am concerned, all of them are rare... I was lucky enough to find only one so far.

0063C1F6-7578-4BC7-A1A8-B8599C08DF35.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice find the later ones are rarer I found a beautiful one last year AU condition.
What I want to find is a shield nickel which looks exactly the same on one side ..Mark

We dont have those out here, too new an area.... lol. I suppose some old cowboy could have dropped one as he passed thru?? I’m all over that once the snow if finally gone, say June.....

Awesome find! It's in great condition too. I've been looking for one of those for many years......

Wow, nice find... I have found a handful of them, but none are in good condition like yours! That soil must be much nicer on copper than my area!

Love them old coins. Like me. I found my one and only one, believe it or not in L.A. McArthur Park in the late 70's. Nineteen 70's that is. Would be kinda scary to go there now.

"Someone left the cake out in the rain. I don't think that I can take it took too long to bake it". Sorry, back to soldering a new pin connector on my GT. They drained that lake a while back. I didn't make it to that one. Echo Park lake they drained around 1981. Lots of goodies and old soda bottles. I remember those days. Echo Park had a song to.

Went back to the hunted out place using the 6" coil.
I was hunting an area with a lot of exposed roots so it was slow hunting then bam 22 on the Nox clear and distinct.
4-5 inch's down next to a root was this coin a 1864 2 cent coin ( my first)
From what I read this coin has two sizes small motto & large motto
Can anyone tell if this coin is small motto or large?
Real nice find, wish i would of found it. ;) Jim

Rex Harrison sang MacPark, wrap your head around that!!!!