Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1870 Indian - Shallow or Bold N?

Houchens35

Went out to my site and found this bad boy. How it stayed in this condition is beyond me. Is this a "Shallow N"? One pic used magnifying glass app for cose up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-191954_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-191954_Gallery.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
  • 2022-3-7 20-37-48.jpg
    2022-3-7 20-37-48.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_20220307-191629_Magnifier.jpg
    Screenshot_20220307-191629_Magnifier.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20220307-191904_Magnifier.jpg
    Screenshot_20220307-191904_Magnifier.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 174
Your Indian Head has larger notches on the "N" in ONE. Also the "E" does "not" seem to have the curved "trumpet" shaped serifs. As a side note the serif on the "E" of your coin would look even more straighter "T" shaped if the dirt was completely off of it . The same with the notches on the "N" (don't clean anymore). So it looks like yours may very well be the Shallow "N" variety.....Just my opinion.
552BF467-9A5B-4023-B8A4-5B6B7A62BE33.png

Last edited:
Beautiful IH!!!

Its amazing what we find isnt it…… the other value point is whether you can see clearly all seven letters of “LIBERTY” on the head band. Nice lucky find as you say…..

Its amazing what we find isnt it…… the other value point is whether you can see clearly all seven letters of “LIBERTY” on the head band. Nice lucky find as you say…..
I agree Ronstar. The best thing about finding full Liberty Indian Heads is that you can pretty much pinpoint the time period that the coin was lost. This helps to date the site you are hunting. Same goes for most any "unworn" coin finds... Houchens35,that is a very nice Indian Head.

Went out to my site and found this bad boy. How it stayed in this condition is beyond me. Is this a "Shallow N"? One pic used magnifying glass app for cose up.
Very nice . Just my thought if you put some vegetable on a clean cloth and gently rub it you will see a brilliant looking coin with no damage to it.

Very nice . Just my thought if you put some vegetable on a clean cloth and gently rub it you will see a brilliant looking coin with no damage to it.
I like a coin that shows some dirt in the field of the coins. I feel that it helps the details stay visible. Any type of oil or liquid will change the appearance and it's usually changed for the worse. It's really up to each individual on how he wants to treat a dug coin. Treatment does also vary according to what the condition of the coin is to begin with. Just my opinion.