Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1901 Barber before and after cleaning

pplinker

N/T

Doesn't even look like the same coin, at first glance I bet you didn't even know it was a silver coin. How deep was this coin? Nice find and congrats on the barber.

still looking 52 said:
Doesn't even look like the same coin, at first glance I bet you didn't even know it was a silver coin. How deep was this coin?

Actually, I was hopeful because when first picking it up it felt very thin like the seated liberty I found a few months back.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Edited to add: It wasn't too deep, maybe 3 1/2 to 4 inches.

Your 1910 Barber sure cleaned up nice. Lots of detail on yours. Congrats.

Nice Find!
What general area of WV are you hunting in?

Mark (from WV)

Hi Mark,

Live in Sandyville, found that in Ripley WV. Downtown vacant lot owned by my lawyer, he said I could hunt there. Where in WV are you and your brothers from?

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the b.c. way better than the a.c.

Either way, nice find and congrats!

pplinker said:
Hi Mark,

Live in Sandyville, found that in Ripley WV. Downtown vacant lot owned by my lawyer, he said I could hunt there. Where in WV are you and your brothers from?
We've deer hunted in Ripley before, we're in the Huntington area. The oldest stuff we can unearth around here is the VERY LATE 1800's and these days that's rare for sure.

Mark

marcomo said:
I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like the b.c. way better than the a.c.

Either way, nice find and congrats!

Hey marcomo that's perfectly okay. Maybe next time I'll leave it alone it does look more natural that way.

Mark, Huntington is about 80 miles away from Ripley. Should be plenty of old houses. If you've hit a slump on the old coins then you'll just have to go for the jewelry. Good luck on the metal detecting and deer hunting to a fellow West Virginian!:)

To clean or not to clean, it's a matter of personal preference. It's not like it makes any difference in value with common date coins.

Now if you ever find a Barber dime dated 1894-S, trust me on this, don't clean it!:biggrin:

marcomo said:
To clean or not to clean, it's a matter of personal preference. It's not like it makes any difference in value with common date coins.

Now if you ever find a Barber dime dated 1894-S, trust me on this, don't clean it!:biggrin:

Its really according to the coin, I mean coins (US coins) are graded by condition and detail, that means that dark gray silver with good to strong detail can be clean back to a soft silver
once without degrading it!
Now copper or bronze coins that is corroded is already in POOR condition, and its the metal that is corroded, so often times (most times) you can't do much cleaning without
a HIGH lost of metal, many times in this condition a coin may have a tad of a readable date and after cleaning it won't.
There is NO increase in value to a coin for "patina" like a vintage brass clock.
Now, there are coin shops that will try and rob you if they no you found the coin metal detecting and you've cleaned it, but a lot of them are like a lot of car salesman, what you have has no value,
and their stuff is the greatest, your coin don't have much value, until it becomes theirs for resale!

Silver or gold coins can be cleaned IF the process don't remove enough detail to take the coin to the next lower grade for the coin.
Very POOR, very little detail, exceptionally RARE coins should be handled WITH UP MOST CARE!! cleaning or otherwise! A mistake and it could become worthless!!!!!!

Mark