Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1901 V Nickle versus the environment

MigColG

I picked up a few more finds at the 1902 house I've been working. The ground and time did a number on a 1901 V Nickle. Also some Wheat Cents.

Attachments

• IMG_20201121_094333.jpg
    IMG_20201121_094333.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20201121_094601.jpg
    IMG_20201121_094601.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 117
Nice recoveries, but what kind of ground ph or other influences do you have where you are? Just yesterday I pulled a 1925S wheatie out and after a little brushing it cleaned up almost new. Just curious.

Those are some nice finds. V nickles are pretty crusty coming out of the ground. Where I hunt is a pasture with mild to moderate soil but it is a hay field and gets fertilized regularly. So it plays into the bad condition of the coins.

Every V nickel I've found in WA/ID is pretty crusty too. From a cursory 'net search:

Copper-nickel was first used in the U.S. for three cent coins back in 1865. Five cent copper-nickel coins were minted the following year. Today, the alloy remains popular in U.S. coinage: the Jefferson nickel is 75% copper and 25% nickel; quarters and dimes minted since 1964 and half dollars minted since 1971 are clad with copper-nickel.

I guess that's why it doesn't look much different (the V nickel) from other types of clad in the ground.