Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1906 house kicked my butt today!

parkgt

Have had the 705 for three weeks. 5 quarters, 8 dimes, 1 nickel, and 41 pennys after about 25 hours of swinging. Read the book multiple times and just about every post back 145 pages. I started in 28 tone and usually knock -8 and 48.

I was excited to get to hunt a 1906 house that has not been hunted in the 20 years the current owners have had it. Of my three coils (9" cc, 6" digger and 6" HF) I decided the 6" DD would offer me the best chance. Did the NC, GB and offset; there was so much stuff in the ground I had to search for a spot to GB. GBed several times with reading in the mid 20s up to 30. Ran sensitivities from 25 to 28.

Most slow swings resulted in from 3 to 5 or more beeps and lots of nulling with -8-6and 48 disced out. This property is covered with buried metal. Tried AM, pattern with zero disc, --8,-6 and 48 out and still found the detecting very tiring with the constant signals. This was like no place I have been yet with the 705. Dialed down to 25 and still too many signals. It was not chattering, just to much metal in the ground much of it reading for the -s to 28.
I went very very slow at time and some sweeps had many broken beeps; speed was not the issue IMO.

My take for two hours was three pennys out of the 70s and a spoon that I gave to the owners.

I want to return but don't have a plan on how to deal with this site. If I discriminate out more I think it will spend over half it's time nulled out. Don't know if I should try the Digger 6" with more discrimination and drop to a less fatiguing 4 tone?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cherry pick the site over time .... start with the high tones and dig them all, then go down and dig the medium tones followed by the low tones. It takes time to go over the site this way, but it will produce better results the more your there.

BH are you suggesting that I discriminate out all the low tones say under 30? And what coil 6" LF DD or 6" HF DD?

Dig all the high tones above 50, cherry pick all these tones. Then when your not getting anymore high tones, hit the medium tones 30 - 49, clean all these out, then hit the low tones -2 - 29.

As for the coil, thats your choice, but I'd use the 10x5 HF coil due to the way it can sniff out targets when used correctly.

Personally, I hate HF coils in high to moderate trash when I'm looking for copper and silver. Especially in iron.

I would take the 6" "Digger" and work it slowly over small areas, carefully singling out each response. I would stick with -8 & 48 notched out, and I'd stick with 29 tones. The number of hits will be the same regardless of how many tones you use, so it really isn't any less taxing. The 3kHz coils make distinguishing bad high tones from good ones easy. When I hunted the trashy home in my coil review, I tried other coils an even the explorer there, and now can't imagine working a site like that again without the "Digger". Nails from a re-roofing and aluminum scraps from re-siding were thick, but easily disearned from coins, silver, and copper. And the 6" was as large a coil as I would want to use there due to the sheer number of metalic objects in the ground. Further away from the house it wasn't so bad, so a larger coil was used, but it wasn't HF.

BH,

I don't understand "Dig all the high tones above 50". I hav never seen anything on the display above 48.

LH,

I will give the "Digger" a try may have to cut the sensitivity. From my use of it so far it seems to be very "busy" in some areas compared to the HF 6".

It is a HOT coil. But I would consider slowing down even more before cutting the sensitivity down. I found that it really likes to go slow, and it helps differenciate targets better. And it has the side benefit of not bombarding you quite as badly, making it seem less overwhelming.

Just for snicks and an educational moment, put some items on the ground, and see how slowly you can go over them and still get good tones. Don't pay attention to the TID, just listen to the tones. Have your coil a good 4" above the targets.

FWIW, I don't put much stock in air tests, but certain aspects can be learning tools.

parkgt said:
BH,

I don't understand "Dig all the high tones above 50". I hav never seen anything on the display above 48.

Opps ! :surrender:

Was a typo .... ment to have been 40 and above for the high tones, and 20 - 39 for the med tones, and -2 - 19 for the low tones. Sorry bout that !

Ok here is my 2 cents worth,

Since your new with the 705 I would run in Pattern 1 with 4 tones and the Digger coil. With AM and 28 tones your getting way way too much info for you to understand since your new with the 705. 6 months down the road go a head and play with the AM and 28 tones and see how like it then.

Do what BH said and cherry pick it. Also make sure your swing speed is no faster then a 3 to 4 Second swing speed. a place like that a 4 sec would be better.

Another thing, you say that this place is covered with buried metal. what kind of trash have you found at this place besides old nails???