Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1910 Farm House conclusion

Ronstar

So today jkline and I put a full on frontal attack on that old place. Jeff had his new Deus and me with my Legend. Other than trash and nails (and one old faucet head) I think we walked out with about 25c clad. I did uncover one oldie worth mentioning tho…

Hit a pretty good 26-27 TDI and it was clear so in I dove. Again, the ground is bone dry and crumbles like a graham cracker crust. Down about 5-6” I bring up a rolled up tube (like you do with toothpaste) about the size of a larger travel size toothpaste. I could see writing on the small section below the top of the tube where the cap would screw on. I figured I would clean it up at home but the more I looked at it the more curious I became. I very carefully started to unroll it and most of the writing was legible so I kept unrolling. I could see a makers name and something about “dental cream” and New Haven, Conn.

Once I was home the old standby routine of a squirt of Dawn liquid in a small bowl with hot water and let set awhile began. A lot of the caked on dirt came off and very gentle scrubbing with a toothbrush (ironic huh…) and I was shocked how cleaned up it was. With a small magnifier loupe I could read both sides entirely.
The brand was Kolynos and in fact was a dental cream. I completely stopped when I read it contained 18% alcohol…….say what? Further directions indicate to use about 1/2” on a dry brush for best results…. Say what again?
Google research showed it was developed in 1908 and was active until Colgate bought them out in the 1990s. I was trying to find more info on the alcohol issue but there is nothing mentioned in the articles I could find. I did see mention where there was a Treasury decision to allow them to prepay their alcohol tax in 1911. After what seemed like an eternity of reading stuff I found buried in the Prohibition Act of 1920 (1920 to 1933) that companies could not advertise or use alcohol in commercial uses. This tells me this tube would have been made between 1909 to 1920.
Can you imagine 36 proof toothpaste today?

Tried to upload Google pics but file to large.
Also, I believe the tube is tin.

Attachments

• F51F4158-1117-487E-86F7-B41B25D96818.jpeg
    F51F4158-1117-487E-86F7-B41B25D96818.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
  • E414726A-28B9-4901-A075-313F1ECFD6A9.jpeg
    E414726A-28B9-4901-A075-313F1ECFD6A9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Why yes! Yes I can!! 🤭🤣😂😂
Neat find for sure!
You try under the fruit trees? 🤭

There is one older apple tree still on the “house lawn”, I believe thats about where jkline found an old brass faucet head. The surrounding property is still wheat fields and newer homes. The base around the house is all planted with flowers that his wife has done over the years so I am leaving that alone out of respect.
I think the next plan is to wait until we get substantial rain fall and get the moisture back in the ground. I refuse to accept one wheat penny as the only older coin out there.

There is one older apple tree still on the “house lawn”, I believe thats about where jkline found an old brass faucet head. The surrounding property is still wheat fields and newer homes. The base around the house is all planted with flowers that his wife has done over the years so I am leaving that alone out of respect.
I think the next plan is to wait until we get substantial rain fall and get the moisture back in the ground. I refuse to accept one wheat penny as the only older coin out there.
I agree. It might not chock full of coins but there is more.

So today jkline and I put a full on frontal attack on that old place. Jeff had his new Deus and me with my Legend. Other than trash and nails (and one old faucet head) I think we walked out with about 25c clad. I did uncover one oldie worth mentioning tho…

Hit a pretty good 26-27 TDI and it was clear so in I dove. Again, the ground is bone dry and crumbles like a graham cracker crust. Down about 5-6” I bring up a rolled up tube (like you do with toothpaste) about the size of a larger travel size toothpaste. I could see writing on the small section below the top of the tube where the cap would screw on. I figured I would clean it up at home but the more I looked at it the more curious I became. I very carefully started to unroll it and most of the writing was legible so I kept unrolling. I could see a makers name and something about “dental cream” and New Haven, Conn.

Once I was home the old standby routine of a squirt of Dawn liquid in a small bowl with hot water and let set awhile began. A lot of the caked on dirt came off and very gentle scrubbing with a toothbrush (ironic huh…) and I was shocked how cleaned up it was. With a small magnifier loupe I could read both sides entirely.
The brand was Kolynos and in fact was a dental cream. I completely stopped when I read it contained 18% alcohol…….say what? Further directions indicate to use about 1/2” on a dry brush for best results…. Say what again?
Google research showed it was developed in 1908 and was active until Colgate bought them out in the 1990s. I was trying to find more info on the alcohol issue but there is nothing mentioned in the articles I could find. I did see mention where there was a Treasury decision to allow them to prepay their alcohol tax in 1911. After what seemed like an eternity of reading stuff I found buried in the Prohibition Act of 1920 (1920 to 1933) that companies could not advertise or use alcohol in commercial uses. This tells me this tube would have been made between 1909 to 1920.

Tried to upload Google pics but file to large.
Also, I believe the tube is tin.
And after that brushing you were a happy fella