Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

19th century silver found using 21st century Silver

mojotrout

HI fellas. I was out comparing signal responses of the XTerra 705 and the Tesoro Silver uMax yesterday on an old curb strip in town. It is a pretty trashy area but Ive pulled many wheaties out of it and wanted to see how each detector sounded on moderately deep (4-6") pennies. I found a few wheaties (1934-1942) at 3-6" and then both detectors hit strong on a target. It sounded pretty shallow so was expecting a clad quarter, given what info each detector was giving me. Well,it was shallow -- only about 1-2 inches -- but it wasn't clad.

[attachment 278165 photo3.JPG]
[attachment 278166 photo2.JPG]

This is only my second Barber coin, only my second silver quarter, and my first 19Th century silver in the 8 months Ive been at this great hobby. It seemed crazy it was only at 1 1/2 ". I noticed a small nick at around 6 o'clock on the heads side of it that wasn't from me. Although this could have come from it being dropped a long time ago, it occurred to me that I was right next to one of the oldest parks in town (early 1900's). It would make sense for this coin to be so shallow if, say, a detectorist back in the 80's found it in the park, nicked it with his/her trowel while recovering it, and then subsequently lost it while heading home or continuing the hunt. What a bummer that would have been. I can imagine the person being as happy as I was to find such a coin, only to have lost it before sharing it with friends and family.

Whatever the reason, this sucker now has a new home in my pocket. Let's see how long it takes for it to be lost again.

In addition to the coins, I found a realty small and old (7 ' down!) silver ring and a trade token that is unreadable on one side and says "Do Drop In" and "Franklin and Smith" on the other. Since I was using both detectors, I posted this on the Xterra forum too. Hope that doesn't break any forum rules...thanks for checking these out. It was a great day!

[attachment 278167 photo1.JPG]

Nice find ! still looking for my Barber Quarter . Found a half and two dimes so far this year maybe I will get lucky I hope

more than likely got turned up in some construction project or a mole great find , of the tree silver quarters i found in the farm field two where suface finds one was half buried and the other was 2" deep and the third was about 9" I found a barber dime on a new walking path in an old town that was right in with a bunch of zinc pennys but noe one was digging zincs and missed it it also was 2" deep somehow the ground gets stired up and when it does its time to feed

I have yet to find a silver quarter with a Tesoro. Probably have 20 silver dimes. Great find.

Oh that's really nice!

tabman

Great digging. Neat of you to compare the two detectors on targets. Do you think the Silver can match the 705 depthwise or is it not even close?

Rainyday101 said:
Great digging. Neat of you to compare the two detectors on targets. Do you think the Silver can match the 705 depthwise or is it not even close?

Rainyday I used to own the 305 and 505 which are essentially the same as the 705 but have fewer bells and whistles. I sold both of them. Mostly because they were out of balance and hard to swing for extended periods of time. Secondly, was the target masking issue. With my testing I found that they were not nearly a good at separation as Tesoro detectors are. Depending on the ground, the 705 may be a little deeper than the Silver, but the silver does a much better job finding good targets in trashy areas.

tabman

Congrats man! Tomorrow am I go hit the woods again. Can't wait..

Tabman,

Thanks for the info. I have looked really hard at the 505 and from what I have read it was okay but not super at target separation. Now when you tell it to me first hand, I believe it, it's that simple. I have read enough of your post to know that you tell it like it is and don't claim your current detector is the best thing since sliced bread. I am not willing to gain a little depth at the cost of target separation. Just not worth it. The goodies are in the trash. I haven't detected since 2004 until the last two years. I only own Tesoro's and so I have never been able to compare target separation to another make. What I do know though, is as you stated, the target separation on Tesoro's is excellent. I guess when all is said and done, I'm stuch with Tesoro. Actually thinking about a Cibola. I have very very mild ground and do not need the ground balance. Thanks much for your input!

tabman said:
Rainyday101 said:

Rainyday I used to own the 305 and 505 which are essentially the same as the 705 but have fewer bells and whistles. I sold both of them. Mostly because they were out of balance and hard to swing for extended periods of time. Secondly, was the target masking issue. With my testing I found that they were not nearly a good at separation as Tesoro detectors are. Depending on the ground, the 705 may be a little deeper than the Silver, but the silver does a much better job finding good targets in trashy areas.

tabman

my experience, although limited, is has been the exact opposite. The 705 found all of the targets on this hunt and the Silver was swung over to see what kind of tone I got out of it before I retrieved the target. I love the Silver, LOVE IT, it was as good as my Outlaw for depth and separation, and I actually chose it over the Outlaw when it came time to let one go. But even when the 705 showed me where the target was, the Silver could only find it about half the time, and a few of those times it gave an unattractive tone response, nothing I would have dug w/o first knowing the response the 705 gave. It did sound off well on that silver ring at about 7" though!

Ive only hunted with the 705 four times-- about 12 hours total, so Ive got lots learning to do. Heck, Ive only been swinging Tesoros for 8 months so no expert there either. But my experience so far says the 705 is significantly deeper, has much less masking issues, has more consistent target ID, and its language is more informative. A lot of that is according to my particular machines, my ears and my brain. I realize people react to each machine differently.

Idxpro said:
Congrats man! Tomorrow am I go hit the woods again. Can't wait..

Thanks man. Im out again tomorrow too. hope to see some pix of your woods finds.

Rainyday101 said:

Hey Rainy, I know you're curious about the Xterra detectors. if you read my post above, you'll get an idea of how Im feeling so far, but I haven't really used this machine enough to give a real good report. I also dont think the Silver is the right Tesoro to compare to the Xterras. I'll post a garden test in the next week or so, along with some more info on my side by side field tests. I wish I could have afforded to keep the Outlaw and F5 along with the Xterra so I could compare them all in the field...

Thanks Mojotrout, I do have a keen interest in the 505. I have read a lot of good things about it, but the one thing that is not clear is the target separation issue. On separation the opinions seem to be all over the place. I know the 505 is just a slimmed down 705, but there are very few to no you tube vids on separation performance or depth. I was at a dealer that had one a week ago and the person at the store had no idea how to operate it. I was really looking forward to testing it and seeing if it could match or even come close to a Tesoro in separation quality. I am not planning on buying another detector until next spring so I have all winter to decide. I really appreciate your opinion and can't wait to see your test results. I know the Silver and a 505 are not a fair comparision, but before I drop the money for another detector, I want to make sure performance wise it is a step up. I would love to know what distance you get on a dime for an air test!

If all else fails I might just break down and join the Church of Compadre and dig all to get the gold rings and then use that money to upgrade. Them Compadres seem to have a habit of paying for themselves in no time flat.