Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st 3 Ringer

Yes, dented on bottom. I assume a plow hit it over the years. It was about 6 inches down and is 58 calibur. Couldnt image getting hit by that chunk, wven at sub sonic.

Congrats on your first! I found two 58 caliber's about a month ago, they were my first! Since then I've went back and found 9 more! They were at an old homestead and all were never fired. Also found an Infantry Button there. The only family that lived there was a Vet that Enlisted from Indiana, he came back, got married and moved to this homestead, lived there until he died. He must have brought back some unfired 58 cal's back with him for souvenir's and his kids must have lost them, they are scattered all over the place! I think there are more there, just gotta find them. If I could find one more, 12, I could make a clock out of them, with the Infantry button in the center? You will find more! Good luck!

MCB13---your 3 ringer appears to have been fired and hit at long range. The way to verify is that only ONE side at the rear of the bullet will be slightly Flattened and slightly flaired. This occurs because when an elongated projectile burrows into the ground physics causes it to turn Upward and this is the force that squashes the tail in the flattened manner. The tail is hollow so it is more prone to flatten.

Doc, that kinda makes sense location wise, as this was about 500 yards from the actual battle area. Maybe the soldier jerked the gun back on the initial primer charge and it went sailing way high and ended up tumbling to the spot I found it.
The bad news is that there may not be alot that happened too, so finding more may be a rare occasion???

Thanks though, good info!

Additional pucs. Closer inspection reveils the absense of rifling on the bullet. This leads me to think its a drop???

Doc, I know the CW was a little before your time, but I aggree with the rifling. However, I could see it tumbling if fired at 45 *, then falling at 1000 yards. I dont think though, that “ deadly to 1000 yrds”.
Thats a long way... a sabot from a rifled shotgun is a stretch at 250-300 yrds.

Cool find buddy. Look around. Might be a bunch more waiting to be found. I still get excited when I find a bullet. Even after a few thousand of them.