Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st cpl hunts with my new V3i

NormS

I have only been out 4 times with my new V3i and two hunts were very successful and i used one of the standard programs but on my 1st hunt i didn't have a clue what i was doing with it and wasn't ground balanced right. I did find a little over $4 even not ground balanced properly. The 2ND hunt was a bigger disaster because of emi's. I couldn't figure it out until i was about finished. Then i noticed not only overhead lines but buried power lines as well. With the help of this forum I now know what to try next time i go back to the spot with buried power lines.

In a nutshell I have found over $15 in clad in 3 hunts not counting my experimental hunt just to use my new v3i. I have only dug one bottle cap and less than 5 tabs. I did notice the v3i is a battery hog and when it goes dead there is no warning however I didn't notice any performance issues just before it went dead. It's too cold and the ground is frozen right now to go out again until i get back from my vacation in March.

A cpl of the things that don't impress me at the moment. I am not all that fond of the pin point on the v3i because the target never seems to be in the center even when I cross directional the the sweep. For the most part i seem to get the max signal when the target is at the edge of the coil. This is not a big issue with me because after I get a 100 hours or so on the v3i I won't think a thing of it. I also find the detector a bit heavy but later on I may invest in a smaller coil because i have some very trashy parks i want to hunt. I also notice the arm cuff is a bit cheesy but as long as it don't break I am OK with it. I am one that uses a detector like a tool so i don't baby my tools nor do I abuse them.

I tend to swing about 3'- 4' in one direction in about 1 second and then 3'-4' back the other direction in about 1 second. So a complete swing is 2 seconds or so. I may be swinging a little too fast but when I slow down I see no difference.

The amazing thing is the depth of the targets. I been finding all kinds of clad at 8" and never found much at 8" with my other detectors. In one athletic field I have found over $50 in clad along with plenty of junk trinkets. That tells me there has to be jewelry there as well and i am certain I passed over with my previous detector. I am going to try a set a program for jewelry only once I get more familiar with it. I also like when you discriminate a vdi out there is no signal from it and I love that.

I read everything i can and even though most of it don't sink in unless i am using my detector every lil bit I retain helps.

I am taking baby steps with it right now until I get used to mastering the menu without thinking about what i am doing. I can see the potential is limitless with the V3i. I am not so naive as to think i won't miss anything because that is so easy to do unless one has gps tracking but even then you can miss a target by not over lapping your swing properly. I hunted and area that i previously hunted with my ATP and I didn't find anything i missed with my ATP other than a cpl pennies i may have passed over with my ATP.

I didn't buy it to see how much more I could find over my ATP in depths 1"-6" deep because I know most likely I won't. I bought it because of the depth and the programmable options it has.

I am happy as heck so far and have less than 8 hours on it. I hope that by the end of the year i may be proficient enough with it that i can add helpful hints to this forum. Thanks for this forum it is priceless.

Start slow with that beast. There are A LOT of options on that thing. Utilize the advanced VDI features first ( polar plot, analysis, etc.) to help with target ID, before you start messing with the advanced settings like offsets, tracking, RX gain, etc. Lower RX gain first if the unit is acting a bit 'chattery'.

Do experiement with single frequencies though...there will be spots/conditions where it will run smoother and deeper.

Not sure if you have a small coil, but it is a well spent investment for any type of park hunting.

oh boy the v3i can be a challenge...I finally deleted most of the vdi settings for iron ..my yard is full of trash ..and turned off the threshold tone ....its really a learning process...and bunches of programs..i was spending more time analyzing the targets than digging..but since the vdi for trash iron were turned off its really much better...and finally getting used the D2 coil and pinpointing with it..good luck and don't give up on the v3i I really like the polar plot spectrum ...if its a coin its showing on the screen...have fun im waiting for the permafrost to thaw in nw ohio ..happy hunting ..Gregg in nw ohio

Howdy NormS--

Glad that you are having fun and success with your V3i! On the weight/balance issue that you mentioned, I agree. That was a complaint that I had with the original Vision detector. Then I picked up a "Swingy Thingy" and my detector is now as light as a feather. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel