Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st Hunt with my Golden Umax

Beale

Boy I have a lot to learn on this MD. I tried to remember what Mike had put on the Videos. I had watched them again yesterday. It was very muggy and I just could not get into the hunt? I ended up finding maybe .70 cents all dimes. I just got to watch those videos again and keep trying, Beale.

Just get ya some sample targets and sit in your chair and just learn the tones first, set your nickel tone first of all with your notch width and play around with your narrow and wide switch and it will come to ya, GL &HH hank

For you're first few hunts, don't use the notch filter, have it in the off position, dig what you can handle so discriminate accordingly. You should be able to turn your sens up to 10 in most areas so do so, go past 10 if conditions allow.

The stock coil that comes with it is very difficult to use, if you have the finances I suggest get the cleansweep coil or any round coil that's available, you'll be glad you did, it'll bring the detector to life! I suggest the cleansweep coil, secondly a round concentric.

I am glad you mentioned the stock coil. I found it hard to pinpoint with. The Brown Donut coil that was on my Silver was a breeze to pinpint with. It is something to consider,

Hey Hank i am gonna try that. I dug a fair amount of foil and then just cherry picked. I think my biggest problem was me! It was so humid and muggy. I never was able to get myself into the hunt. Don't worry I will keep trying, Beale.

Hi Beale - I haven't gone out either - been too hot and too humid for me to. I went out a couple days ago and lasted all of 15 minutes. If the humidity wasn't bad enough those mosquito's were horrible. I found that turning the sense down can help with pin-pointing. I do that with my "V" as well sometimes.

Hey Mike thanks for the idea on turning down the sens while pinpointing. I will for sure try that. Beale.

Hi Beale. Congrats on the new machine. When I bought my first Golden, years ago, I took it out several times before I even thought about using the notch. It is a machine which you can make as simpe or as complicated as you like. I suggest trying simple first, get used to the responses and get used to the tones, then you will learn what it can do. When starting off with any new machine I dont set the sensitivity more than halfway. Because you get a response with all surface targets with the Golden, but lowering the sensitivity you will only get responses from the targets under the coil. If you have a 5.75" concentric coil kicking around, try it on the Golden. Then go low and slow. HH

Thanks Furious for the reply. I been thinking of getting the 8" Concentric Brown coil? I think your main idea is right on thoug. My next hunt I will leave the notch alone. Just hunt. In the long run I know I will like the Golden, Beale.

How do you guys feel the response compares to the Silver umax? Not the tones, just the response time and depth.

Congratulations on the Golden , it is been my favorite machine for a few years now . Don't give upon the stock coil , I got aggravated with it as well and bought a 8" round , it worked fine but as luck would have it , the cable got a short in it and I had to send it back for repair , Tesoro fixed it no problem , but they took a little longer than usual , so it made me learn how to pinpoint with the 9x8 stock coil and after I did and I got the 8" round coil back and tried it again , I found out that I like the 9x8 better . A cleansweep is a whole other animal and it works great , as long as your not looking for a lot of depth . Good luck with what ever you decided .