Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st single frequency detector i've ever seen that will GB wet salt sand in my area of Florida!

I recently got a Fisher F70 and my 1st impression was "It feels cheap" Then I got to thinking, the only complaint I have always had about the multi freq detectors that could deal with wet salt sand, was that they were too heavy. So, I guess the F70 is the one lightweight detector, that can gb out wet salt sand!
It beat my MXT in a baseball field too! {The MXT will not work in my wet salt sand}
I wonder how this single freq F70 machine can gb out the wet salt????

I got some settings from Jerry (Tinfoil) the first time I took my F 75 to the salt water beaches and I was down right amazed at how well it performed. With some settings tinkering, the F's will hunt most salt water beaches very well. And yes, they are a pleasure to swing. HH jim tn

The F75 will GB to the wet salt sand too. Don't know if any of the other ones will or not. Makes a huge difference being able to GB to the wet salt rather than having to GB above the wet salt level and then trading off discrimination level and sensitivity to be able to hunt.

The CZ6a is still my go to wet sand detector (when I'm not getting into the water). But the F75 (and it sounds like the F70) will certainly do the job and very easy to swing.

How can it do it? ... FT decided to design it to the have the ground balance adjustment range necessary to handle the wet salt.
tvr

:biggrin:
Well, I am amazed that the F70 will GB out the salt and run quiet and smooth,
but it won't reach the depth of a multi frequency detector, like a Sovereign, Excalibur or a dual freq CZ.
I like it better than the 2 DFX's I had though!
They never did run smooth in wet salt sand!

"FT decided to design it to the have the ground balance adjustment range necessary to handle the wet salt."
I wonder why, if it's that simple, it hasn't been done before????

hummm interesting reading in here...:minelab::clapping::detecting:.

re ""FT decided to design it to have the ground balance adjustment range necessary to handle the wet salt."
I wonder why, if it's that simple, it hasn't been done before????"

Didn't say the design effort was simple. I'm just pretty sure the design team had the full range ground balance as a requirement or certainly a goal to meet with the design for these detectors. If it turned out that meeting that goal with the first shot at a design would have doubled the cost, it would have been back to different approaches until the designed did what it needed to do at the cost point that it could sell enough units to be profitable.
tvr

Well, that makes sense. All I know, is that it is THEE first single freq detector that's ever balanced on my wet salt sand.
And it truely balances easily and to perfection. Not a false signal-if I don't set the sensitivity over 60 and leave the threshold at around -3.
I checked and it will hit a nickle at 7" deep in the sand, with waves going over the target. That's mighty good for 1 fequency!!!
When Texas Instruments took over Fisher, I thought "There goes the neighborhood" :)
I never expected them to impress me!
They have! The F70 is a simple to use, [ No complicated programming like an Explorer or DFX etc ] deep seeking detector!

I've been reading up on specs for some detectors and most of them seem to have the same specs in some form or other, it's all a question on which one of these technologies works best with different makes and coils etc.

I know that Fisher is under the same roof as that of Bounty Hunter and I belive Teknetics as well.

F70 detectors:

GROUND GRAB
Press-and-hold the button to activate automatic ground balancing. The internal computer
measures the magnetic properties of the soil in order to cancel interference from naturally occurring
minerals in the ground. After the detector measures the soil in this manner, the
detector then uses this information to control operation in both the Discrimination and Autotune
search modes. GROUND GRAB can be used at any time during operation. The coil must be
pumped up and down over the ground while holding the button. See section on ground
balancing.

Land Star (and maybe other Bounty Hunters):

Auto Ground Balance as well as .......

MANUAL GROUND BALANCING
Your Land Star Metal Detector has a pre-set ground balance and a
manual adjustment knob.
When searching in the ALL METAL mode, it is important that the detector
be ground balanced to offset the effects of any minerals present in the
soil or to balance the effects of salt water when you search near the
ocean. This is how you can adjust the ground balance.
1. Turn GB knob 100% clockwise.
2. Hold searchcoil several inches above the ground.
3. If you

I have never had any luck with any single frequency in wet salt ......but will check that out

I have tried BH Time Ranger here and it didn't come close to working in wet salt sand. It just beeped every foot or so at the salt.
This is different, by far.
Yes, the BH people did buy out Fisher, but I believe they still employ real metal detector experts from Fisher. :)

This is encouraging. I've been using my CZ70 and Sovereign at the beach, but their slow and heavy, so I'm going to try my F75 LTD this weekend at the beach. I've been reading that it too will work well at the salt water wet sand, and it's a LOT deeper then the F70 (I know, I have both machines).

If it'll do what I think it will, it should rival any multifreq machine :devil:

Chuck said:
I have tried BH Time Ranger here and it didn't come close to working in wet salt sand. It just beeped every foot or so at the salt.
This is different, by far.
Yes, the BH people did buy out Fisher, but I believe they still employ real metal detector experts from Fisher. :)

Did you try it in no-motion all metal mode and Ground Balance it ?

I've used my Land Star in this mode at the beach with good results in the wet / water.

Chuck said:
My MXT will not work in my wet salt sand at all.

Try ground balance in salt mode then change to ground mode and do it again then put in lock and away you go, worked here for me,