Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st Sterling with Excalibur

Tin Fin

Found my first Sterling today using the Excal 1000 in the rain; It had a ring to it that was different somehow - it's an earring, marked 925 KC (there's a bit of space between the K and C). I know what the 925 means, don't know what the KC means; could be Kansas City, or something else. Will see if I can get an acceptable photo or two of it and post them here. It has a small stone in it too, can't tell if it's a diamond or not but looks to be.

But, I'm starting to find more treasure and less trash - today I wasn't taking any chances so I dug a bit more trash. I used the Excal because I didn't want to take the GT out in the rain. I'm finding that my ears are changing, learning the sounds. I can't quite define what the shift has been yet, but I generally "know" when it's coin or crap now; not always by any means, and twisted up pull tabs, with beaver tails especially, still get dug because they sound different.

To me, the fact that my ears are changing, learning these sounds, and making sense of them is of great significance - especially since I have hearing problems. It will be some time, but I do plan on changing the stock headphones out. My hunting technique is improving too, and I'm getting better at telling something about the depth of many targets based on the sound. All of these are important milestones for me.

I found a great deal for some helicopter headphones of a reputable brand, and they make a huge difference on the Sovereign GT. Finding something like these for the Excal would be great too.

This earring sounded different enough to me that I was pretty sure it was something good, and close to the surface; it was only an inch or just a bit more deep in the sand near a volley ball court. I was hunting a local park that is turning out to be a good location to MD in - a lot of business people go there for lunches, or dates. Found my 2nd ring there, though it's a cheapie, but it was a ring, and now reasonable earring.

Also found some clad and a 9mm spent slug that is in nearly perfect shape; at first I thought someone just pulled the lead out of a bullet, but there are rifling marks on the slug. Will get a photo of that and post it here too. So, all the work of listening to Ear Training, and using the GT and the Excal on a nearly daily basis, is starting to find some better items with more consistency.

Many thanks to all of you that have helped, and urged me on my way with using the Excal and GT. I'm Deeply grateful to you all for that, and hope to be able to post some good finds in short enough order.

HH

Good job. It's weird but if you put a gold ring on the ground and sweep over it you can just "tell" that it sounds more "round", solid, soft, and "warm" than a lot of trash. If only I could quantify that feeling/sound.