Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st time out with my new Racer

rlt9999

I got to go out detecting with the Racer today for the first time. So to test it I took it to a farm that I've been detecting for the past year using my Explorer, F70, and Deus. In the past I've found a ton of wheat pennies as well as a few buffalo's and several war nickels so I wasn't expecting to find much here. When I turned on the Racer at this site it was immediately giving off the overload tone so I had to back off the gain to below 39 to get it to stop. I've never had to back off the sensitivity on the Deus here so I thought that was odd. As I detected I soon found that turning the gain down more made the Racer easier to follow all of the tones that were produced sweeping the ground here, there is a ton of iron junk at this site. So, I was swinging in the front yard that has only produced wheats till today and running the Racer at 20 gain in 3 tone mode with ID filter at 10 when I got a sweet high tone that was repeatable with no ID. I dug a plug and found an IH at 8 inches! Then about 15 feet from this find I hit another high tone with no ID and dug another 8 inch IH. I've covered this entire yard with the Deus and couldn't believe that I had missed these. I think the Racer might become my favorite detector and today was a great start for the new year for me.

Congrats on the keepers. Your running some nice units as well, I find the Racer to compliment my other units in sites like that as others have seen as well. Did you get the OOR coil too? If you was finding that with the stock coil then I'm sure the OOR will pull another keeper or two from there. With the units your running now you should be able to really work a site over pretty good.

With that over load and low gain you must have a lot of trash in there. Never had to go that low before but looks like it worked well. Other sites will give a better overview if it's a coil issue but a 8" IH indicates otherwise. WTG and keep the reports coming.

I know exactly how you feel rlt9999 :thumbup:

Thanks 3RINGER! Funny you should mention the OOR coil, I bought the Pro package and did get the OOR coil. Matter of fact I was just down in the basement installing it for tomorrow's outing.

I'm not certain that there isn't a problem with the stock coil though. I was reading other posts tonight that said they had the same problem with the overload and it turned out to be a bad coil. As soon as I turned the machine on it was in overload with the coil 4 feet off the ground at this site. In my basement I can turn it on and it overloads but I only have to turn gain down 1 step to 69 instead of down to 39. I'll have to try it at another site and see what happens.

Another odd thing I noticed, when I had the stock coil installed I couldn't get the LED flashlight to work. I put the OOR coil on tonight and the flashlight is working now!!!

sasquache said:
I know exactly how you feel rlt9999 :thumbup:

Yes sasquache, I am amazed at how well this machine performs. You can read the posts and watch the videos but it doesn't compare to that moment you use one. It sure made a believer out of me.

I think you coil is ok . If your coil was messed up it would not stop overloading at all. If you can change settings I would say your coil was close to something large. In the ground. You may be running it to high. I also don't thing changing coils has anything to do with your flashlight on the back of the detector. Jmo. GS

For me it keeps up with the deus and is a great detector a gem

GroundScanner said:
I think you coil is ok . If your coil was messed up it would not stop overloading at all. If you can change settings I would say your coil was close to something large. In the ground. You may be running it to high. I also don't thing changing coils has anything to do with your flashlight on the back of the detector. Jmo. GS

Thanks for the reply GroundScanner, I got out again today to 2 different sites and the 11" coil went into overload at both sites as soon as the detector was turned on. Same as yesterday, when the gain was turned down below 40 the overload stops. Temperatures yesterday and today were just above 32 degrees and I think that is where the larger coil is having a problem. As soon as I got in the house I turned on the detector and it was still overloading down to 40 gain but after about a half hour I checked it again and it overloads at 70 but stops if the gain is turned down to 69 when at room temperature.

I found a post from another Racer owner over at the Dankowski site that had the same problem with his 11" coil when out in the cold, Makro replaced his coil and he hasn't had any problem since.

I would send the coil in. I have had to do the same. My new coil is fine . Something about the cold , the coil just doesn't like. GS
rlt9999 said:
GroundScanner said:

Thanks for the reply GroundScanner, I got out again today to 2 different sites and the 11" coil went into overload at both sites as soon as the detector was turned on. Same as yesterday, when the gain was turned down below 40 the overload stops. Temperatures yesterday and today were just above 32 degrees and I think that is where the larger coil is having a problem. As soon as I got in the house I turned on the detector and it was still overloading down to 40 gain but after about a half hour I checked it again and it overloads at 70 but stops if the gain is turned down to 69 when at room temperature.

I found a post from another Racer owner over at the Dankowski site that had the same problem with his 11" coil when out in the cold, Makro replaced his coil and he hasn't had any problem since.

GroundScanner said:
I have used my 11'coil up here in maine and never had a issue do to cold GroundScanner but it is the newer thicker eared coil.
I would send the coil in. I have had to do the same. My new coil is fine . Something about the cold , the coil just doesn't like. GS
rlt9999 said:
GroundScanner said:

I emailed Makro technical support via their webpage last night so I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding my coil issue.

I had the thin ear coil and overloaded , I was sent another thin ear 11" coil and has worked fine. This was last winter. So having it all year being used a few times , I will bring it out in the cold the next few days and see how it runs. Will let ya know how it works out. GS
sasquache said:
GroundScanner said:
I have used my 11'coil up here in maine and never had a issue do to cold GroundScanner but it is the newer thicker eared coil.
rlt9999 said:
GroundScanner said:

Let us know what happens. I think Makro will take care of you with no problems. GS
rlt9999 said:
I emailed Makro technical support via their webpage last night so I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding my coil issue.

Thought I should update this thread for those that wanted to know how my coil problem was going. I got an email reply from Cavit Arslan at Makro telling me to contact Detector Electronics for replacement of my 11" coil so I called them and got an RMA number. I sent the coil to them on Tuesday morning and it was delivered there on Thursday afternoon. This morning I got on Detector Electronics website to check on the status of my RMA and was told in online chat that my replacement coil would be sent out this afternoon via USPS Priority Mail and given the tracking number. Tracking shows that the new coil should be here on Monday. I was hoping that they would have sent me a new coil and had me return the defective one as others have done but I guess that isn't their police anymore. I'm anxious to see what the Racer can do with a good coil on it.

rlt9999 said:
Thought I should update this thread for those that wanted to know how my coil problem was going. I got an email reply from Cavit Arslan at Makro telling me to contact Detector Electronics for replacement of my 11" coil so I called them and got an RMA number. I sent the coil to them on Tuesday morning and it was delivered there on Thursday afternoon. This morning I got on Detector Electronics website to check on the status of my RMA and was told in online chat that my replacement coil would be sent out this afternoon via USPS Priority Mail and given the tracking number. Tracking shows that the new coil should be here on Monday. I was hoping that they would have sent me a new coil and had me return the defective one as others have done but I guess that isn't their police anymore. I'm anxious to see what the Racer can do with a good coil on it.
That is excellent new bud :thumbup:

My new coil was delivered on Monday as expected, I got the new version with the thicker mounting ears and they included new bolts & nuts, washers, and a coil cover. My original coil didn't come with a cover BTW and I'm guessing that it was intentionally left out of my Pro package due to problems I've read about using them on the older coils.

Now if the temperature gets above 20 degrees here anytime soon I can get out to try it! :unsure:

See that why I decided to get a Racer even tho i know about the coil problems , the Company treats its costumers good , and they care. so I had no problem ordering one . but it will be spring when i get to try it in the woods to cold now - its below Zero hear in Minni soda

nice post.

In my opinion the Racer is on par with Deus easy.

Matt