Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1st time out with the XP

fishnnut

Well got out for a couple hours today in an older park here that I have hunted heavy with my AP Pro in the past. Heres my thoughts on the 1st trip. The XP is really lite and well balanced and very user friendly. I started out in the basic 1 mode that the manual and everyone seemed to suggest and didn't change anything at first. Found a few shallow clad coins and the separation and speed of the machine was really good and not chatty like I am used to..... Once locked on a coin number is seems to stay there and not jump around alot on the vid and that was good. Tried a few coins that I took with me including a silver dime so I would have an idea what the numbers should be about. I thought the arm strap that comes with it was a little cheezy for that expensive of a unit but not a big deal as I can easily put something else on there. After an hour or so I bumped up the sensitivity and played with the different GB modes and that was easy enough. I guess at this point my only concern is it doesn't seem to be near as deep as my At pro was..... I haven't owned anything else so can't compare to the Etrac but I hunt mainly silver and not sure this unit will be deep enough. Hard to evaluate after only a couple hours and I only messed with a few settings so hopefully in time I will be able to get more depth. I like pretty much everything else about it. One thing I also noticed is that the VID number seems to go away with any sort of depth. All in all a nice machine just gonna take time to learn it's language. HH

Thats awesome. You did exactly what you were supposed to do and should probably continue to do for the next couple more times you take it out until you become more comfortable with what the machine is telling you. Once you learn the tones really good and find a setting that you really enjoy and can run with, you will start to notice yourself digging targets deeper and deeper. 12khz is a really nice frequency for coin shooting. I said in a post a few days ago that the Deus nailed a 10 inch clad quarter no problem, even when lifting my coil a little bit. Congrats on your new detector. The more you use it, you will fall in love with it more and more. Being that the Deus is still fairly new to the States im glad that this forum was set in place for us to discuss and learn as much as we can about this new breed of detector. Im willing to bet a few months from now or even sooner. The xp deus page will be exploding with tons of great finds from old coins, jewelry and relics,once we all work together trying to figure out what works best for each style of hunting. Have yourself a great day and best of luck on your next hunt. HH

for those that say it is a deep target. It has not been for me. I quit digging them. As for depth I seem to be finding targets as deep as my Etrac. 6 to 8 inches, which is where most of my targets are anyway in my ground. I have dug iron much deeper than that, so for a relic hunter it goes plenty deep.

Depth of 6 to 8" isn't bad but was hoping to maybe get 10". It seems a lot of the older coins I have found with my AT Pro in my soils here wheats/silvers have been at around 8" or so.
Be curious to get more input from people here in the states on US coins as far as depth. Have seen some of the videos but hopefully as more people get the Deus there will be more input. Anybody have any suggestions for tweaking it for more depth? I did start in Basic one with the sensitivity up to mid 90's and guess i don't know if any of the other programs can get more for depth or just help with the speed and audio more so. I also can't really seem to find a good explanation of the profile horseshoe. I know it is supposed to show target ferrous/nonferrous and depth. So dumb ?? when coin shooting a person wants the right side darkened? How does it relate to depth? Sorry for the ?? but still trying to learn........ thanks for any input. HH

Yes, the horseshoe shows you if the target is ferrous/nonferrous. You want the right side of the horseshoe darkened, correct. It relates to depth in that the more the horseshoe is darkened, the more shallow the target is, the less the horseshoe is darkened, the deeper the target is. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, post them up. Seems like you are doing well with the Deus and I assure you the depth will come. I worried about depth at first as well with the Deus but I now have over 100 hours on it and have found LOTS of targets that I have given up on because they were too deep (I'm talking my whole arm down a hole deep). Keep at it and the finds will come. HH -Marc

Hey thanks alot Marc and yep that helps alot. Still trying to figure this all out. So much different than my AT Pro and not used to being able to fine tune so many adjustments. I am really impressed with the machine so far in the wireless aspect and weight. Now I just need to figure out how to maximize the depth and I will be one happy camper.....lol

One more thing about the horseshoe graph- it's tied in with the disc. The left side shows targets that are being disc'd out, the right side shows targets that are being accepted. Since most people set their disc in the iron range, it works well as a ferrous/non ferrous indicator. The left side of the graph is also tied in with the iron volume.

For max depth on US coins, try one other lower frequencies........then start here:

Sensitivity: 99
Disc: 0
Reactivity: 0

Of course, these settings are going to work best under hypothetically perfect conditions, so adjust for your soil and EMI. If you're getting too much chatter- cut back on the sensitivity BEFORE you raise the disc.

Thanks Mr.Wil I will try that. Is there a different program other than basic 1 that I should start with and then alter the freq. and the other settings? The manual shows the different freq. for all 9 programs but I assume a person can alter the freq. in all nine maybe? I guess I didn't try alltering any freqs. yesterday.....I just stayed with the default of 12 that I got with basic 1 for starters.

Basic 1 or 2 are both good for US coins. It's hard to improve on the factory programs, so it's best not to tinker too much until you get some time in with the machine. One thing you can do is adjust the tones to make the unit more US target friendly. Both tone frequency (not to be confused with operating frequency) and tone threshold can be adjusted. Instructions are on page 37 of the manual. Here's some numbers you can use as a guideline to set the tone thresholds. Make sure to use the right ones for your operating frequency.

mrwilburino said:
One more thing about the horseshoe graph- it's tied in with the disc. The left side shows targets that are being disc'd out, the right side shows targets that are being accepted. Since most people set their disc in the iron range, it works well as a ferrous/non ferrous indicator. The left side of the graph is also tied in with the iron volume.

For max depth on US coins, try one other lower frequencies........then start here:

Of course, these settings are going to work best under hypothetically perfect conditions, so adjust for your soil and EMI. If you're getting too much chatter- cut back on the sensitivity BEFORE you raise the disc.
This was interesting. i tried this for a couple of hours tonight. I was using the 8khz freq. sensitivity was cranked to the max at 99 reactivity 0 Disc 0 and i was using the 9" coil. It was running smooth without any chatter at all. what other settings would you recommend for this,,, for example audio volume, iron volume, number of tones at what threshold?. should i use my larger coil? Also tried this with 12khz and the noise was non stop insane.Thanks HH

Maybe it is noisier at 12 khz than 8 khz because the higher freq detects smaller targets. But at the same time the lower freq goes deeper.

Dr.Deus said:
mrwilburino said:

This was interesting. i tried this for a couple of hours tonight. I was using the 8khz freq. sensitivity was cranked to the max at 99 reactivity 0 Disc 0 and i was using the 9" coil. It was running smooth without any chatter at all. what other settings would you recommend for this,,, for example audio volume, iron volume, number of tones at what threshold?. should i use my larger coil? Also tried this with 12khz and the noise was non stop insane.Thanks HH

There's not much else that is going to squeeze any significant depth out of the Deus.......turn up the audio response.......turn up the TX power (debatable, and a major battery drain). Here's a thread with some pretty good program examples: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,1668388

Not sure why the 12khz was noisy for you.....did you try doing a frequency offset? Could have been EMI affecting that particular frequency. I haven't used the larger coil but they say that it does go deeper. It's also supposed to work well with the 4 khz frequency.

When I DON'T ground balance to my ground (74 GB) and just leave it at 90, I lose alot of depth. When I get my Ground Balance correct, and then drop a couple of points lower (72) I get much more depth. For me, and in my opinion, ground alance is VERY important for depth and clear signals. This may have already been said....if so.....excuse the repeat.

Kevin do you keep your GB in manual then all the time? I know on my AT Pro when I backed off the GB 10 or so points back from the actual value (pumping to check) it seemed like i did get additional depth. I am thinking that the Deus would be no different in this way. I tried manual and tracking and pumping the other day and when in tracking mode the numbers always stayed 1 point apart.( i believe thats by design) If you go manual and set the value 2 points less than the actual thats great but the ground is always changing as you walk so the numbers will very so much and if you are set at 72 and the actual jumps to high 80's or 90 in an area you are detecting then isn't that going to throw things out of wack? Hope this makes sense?