Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2.5 KHZ OR 22 KHZ FOR HAMMERED SILVER ON BRITISH SOIL ??

OMEGAMAN

Wondered if you guys can lend some advice ? just bought the spectra v3i and cant wait to get out and use it however i could do with some settings for the ever elusive hammered coins.Thing is the deep silver program runs at 2.5 khz but i have a hammered edward 1st penny which using analyze hits at 22 khz.The 2.5 khz gets the thicker silver coins such as shillings stronger.So this in mind to find the hammered am i better off with a different mode altogether or simply changing the deep silver program from 2.5 to 22 khz ??.Any advice is much appreciated as are any possible settings you guys may have for our british soil !!.
Many thanks !!

I just read a post on some forum and this guy asked the same question almost, except he was not getting results on hammerds and gave his settings. A knowledgable poster noticed the 2.5 kHz frequency listed and jumped all over him, told him to go to the 22kHz. Generally in Europe, people that hunt for hammerds use higher frequency detectors.

Also, I would imagine you would want your recovery speed fast and therefor a higher frequency is much better. Here is a program I came across to emulate the faster detectors on Hammerds but you might want to not switch off the threshold as stated, just set it to zero (another poster mentioned that on a different thread).
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1138447

I wonder if anyone has used 3 frequencies on hammereds?

Much appreciated ive just finished loading that program up so i will give it a go tomorrow,initially just testing it on a few different items including some hammereds it certainly looks promising.Again thanks for that !!

Please let us know how it goes. I'm looking hard at a V3i and live in Germany so it will be interesting to hear how it works for you.

No probs i will do mate !! ive thought about trying a v3i for a while but remained faithful to my e-trac which was a very good machine.However the v3i has broken the mould with the on screen display and the information it gives and how its delivered and it really has something different to offer.There is a slight argument though here because when minelab first brought the explorer xs out almost ever other manufacturer put the multifrequency down saying it wasnt needed or lost depth.Then what followed is whites with multi frequency and also fisher and now xp and they wouldnt have done it unless it was worth it.The good thing about the v3i is its set for the best frequencies i use and not all the way up to 100khz and the ability to use individual ones is very very handy and the analyse mode is very good.Ive had my v3i a week now mate and taken it out and tried it with an open mind and my advice is get one.My only criticism is i think its now time whites ditched the big box and brought their machines up to date with its appearance like every other manufacturer !! the wireless headphones was a dam good start.

I'm in the UK and have had a V3/V3i for about a year and my preference is for 3-frequencies. Yes, the 22.5KHz is supposed to be sharpest on small/thin hammered coins, but I find the smoothness of a 3-frequency mode much better than the single frequency mode. For me, the 3-frequencies seem to allow the V3i to pick out the little coins even if they are close much to larger bits of iron. I've had quite a bit of success on these targets (see my sig!) running a modified C& J mode with 5KHz filters, Recovery about 45, Sens 85/65 and Rx about 12 ..........................

Tried your settings today ramases as i managed to get out for a bit.Works pretty well actually and was a lot more stable than single frequency and its certainly a program ill use again when i have more time and less rain.Today was my first time out with the v3i and initially i was digging nothing but big lumps of iron.I changed to the deep silver mode to try it (2.5 khz) and within 5 mins there was a right wallop signal and the v3i screamed out "IM HAVIN THAT !"After digging down 4 inch and then removing a large slab of stone i finally found a 1916 silver florin and its one coin ive not had.Then i switched back to your mode again with 3 frequency and i remember thinking maybe it was just flike i got the florin but then bang came another signal and it turned out to be two 1896 victorian pennies in the same hole.5 mins after that i pulled up an old thimble and that was my lot.I tried the BEEP DIG programme and i actually liked that a lot but not so sure about what its rejecting and how much and if its knocking out any other goodies.My land is littered with iron so it was nulling out a lot and sometimes giving me good signals from iron as high as 90+.Conclusion for the first day with the v3i is its a cracking machine with lots of potential but it does have issues with iron and the wireless headphones and or v3i did not agree with my garrett pinpointer whyen i used it.I dont think the v3i is better than my e-trac was its simply different but on equal par.Perhaps the v3i had a slight edge on tiny items and the boost on the v3i is bloody awesome.

OMEGAMAN said:
Tried your settings today ramases as i managed to get out for a bit.Works pretty well actually and was a lot more stable than single frequency and its certainly a program ill use again when i have more time and less rain.Today was my first time out with the v3i and initially i was digging nothing but big lumps of iron.I changed to the deep silver mode to try it (2.5 khz) and within 5 mins there was a right wallop signal and the v3i screamed out "IM HAVIN THAT !"After digging down 4 inch and then removing a large slab of stone i finally found a 1916 silver florin and its one coin ive not had.Then i switched back to your mode again with 3 frequency and i remember thinking maybe it was just flike i got the florin but then bang came another signal and it turned out to be two 1896 victorian pennies in the same hole.5 mins after that i pulled up an old thimble and that was my lot.I tried the BEEP DIG programme and i actually liked that a lot but not so sure about what its rejecting and how much and if its knocking out any other goodies.My land is littered with iron so it was nulling out a lot and sometimes giving me good signals from iron as high as 90+.Conclusion for the first day with the v3i is its a cracking machine with lots of potential but it does have issues with iron and the wireless headphones and or v3i did not agree with my garrett pinpointer whyen i used it.I dont think the v3i is better than my e-trac was its simply different but on equal par.Perhaps the v3i had a slight edge on tiny items and the boost on the v3i is bloody awesome.

Something I should have mentioned is that I run disc wide open and use the tone ID to pick out the iron (I have a zero tone for what would be iron) and to ID hammies. It is also a good way to pick out coke - though I usually double-check with the Polar Plot as it gives a very clear horizontal for that and I haven't dug anything other than coke after a response like that.

When you say above that you have your sens 85/65 do you mean discrim 85 and all metal 65 ? sorry im still working my way round the settings on the v3i and just hoping i havent missed something in the expert menu.Ive put your settings on my machine and i have to say running wide open but knocking out the iron tones is something i hadnt thought of but just testing it 5 mins ago i can see it has huge potential and actually makes the machine run more stable.
cheers for your help

OMEGAMAN said:
When you say above that you have your sens 85/65 do you mean discrim 85 and all metal 65 ? sorry im still working my way round the settings on the v3i and just hoping i havent missed something in the expert menu.Ive put your settings on my machine and i have to say running wide open but knocking out the iron tones is something i hadnt thought of but just testing it 5 mins ago i can see it has huge potential and actually makes the machine run more stable.
cheers for your help

Yes that's right - Disc Sens is always higher than AM in my programmes. I think running it like this is why I have had several very small hammies from close to iron - the V3i just seems to "hang on" to a bit of the positive signal amidst all the negative. I have tried running sens/rx hotter but usually need to use Salt Cancellation to get the stability back which, those who have tested it, suggest nullifies the extra depth gained by the hotter settings. And in any case - stability and a solid ground balance are absolutely my first and second priorites - but not always in that order!

What about coils for the v3i or do you reckon the stock coil is more than enough ? its pasture land im on mostly and ive heard a few say sef coils are ok on the v3i but i havent tried it yet.

OMEGAMAN said:
What about coils for the v3i or do you reckon the stock coil is more than enough ? its pasture land im on mostly and ive heard a few say sef coils are ok on the v3i but i havent tried it yet.

I'm mainly on ploughed land in Suffolk - I don't have much pasture. Anyway, I have the stock coil (very good for most situations but very sensitive to EMI); 6x10 elliptical - good for more polluted sites and I like it on the beach; sharp response and so light to swing but a little less depth than the stock coil; 10x12 SEF - sharp and maybe bit deeper than the stock coil but there are issues with the 22.5KHz frequency so Sens/Rx need to be kept in check or (if I need it to run hotter) I use the Salt Comp mode which helps smooth things out (but maybe costs an inch or two of depth). I had a 12x15 SEF but it was way too heavy and didn't seem to give any significant depth increase over the 10x12/stock coils (so I swapped it for an old C-Scope Metadec 2 !!). For pasture that's clean, I'd suggest trying a 10x12 SEF. I have used mine there and it was very good.