Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 firsts with the AT PRO!

ryaan21

I have been critical about the AT PRO to others, there are a few things that drive me nuts about the machine. But since it is the only machine I have, I have had to force myself to use and learn it.

The main problem I WAS having, was bottle caps. In our soil the PRO ground balances at 89-92. A bottle cap sounds really good and iron audio does not seem to do much. After digging about 200 bottle caps I noticed something I should have noticed right away. Bottle caps sound good but not "clean". It will be high pitched but a little gurgle thrown in. I have never been one to solely rely on the TID. Actually I try to ignore it as much as possible and use it only for the approx depth of a target. I started to dig what I kinda knew to be a bottle cap, and looked at the meter and sure enough, the meter jumps around like crazy, where as normally with a coin it will be dead nuts on or only one digit off.

My brother and I and a few guy from our detecting club have been hunting a camp ground since the snow melted. This place has had people on it since the copper culture days. It is also the trashiest place I have EVER hunted. Years and years of beer bottles, soda bottles, beer cans, fuel cans, and other trash make it a rough place to hunt.

Since my AH HA! moment with my AT PRO and garbage signals, I have learned a lot about how to hunt this place.

These 2 items are my best finds this year so far, not much to some, but I am super happy to have found them.

1909 barber quarter and an 1852 large cent!!!

Awesome! Real trophys there! :clapping: I noticed that about the bottlecaps too, hate those things!
Mud

Nice finds and the more you use it you will realize that it's a fantastic machine. I would definitley invest in the Garrett PRO Pointer also. It's worth the money and it will increase your finds and reduce dig time. I am not saying that because it's a garrett product, it's the best on the market. Enjoy

yes, those stinkin bottle caps give me a nice tone differential, so it's easier. having said that, there are still some caps that are problematic. oh well. in any case, those are great finds! it really does pay off to learn the ATP.

Nice 2 firsts! That large cent looks to be in really really great shape. I haven't dug one of those yet with my AT Pro, but I know I will soon :) Congrats!

Thanks guys! I am still learning the machine, but feel more confident than I used to and will get even more so with more time in. I was going to trade my AT PRO but I think I am going to keep it and learn more. I still may pick up another machine, one I really missed the mark with was the Omega 8000. I traded it to fast I think and can get a used one for a decent price.

The information you provided on the difference in readings on bottle caps and coins is extremely interesting. I am going to go out this weekend and experiment with my AT Pro. Thanks Again!!

[size=large]when ya get a good reading in the bottle-cap range and the machine says it's two inches down use your garrett pp to check before digging. i have found the bottle caps give a wider signal than a qtr. i don't dig as many as before. i still dig when in doubt. the larger signal is caused by the halo effect. not a perfect system but it works pretty good for me.

HH[/size]