Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 months in the making

rustedwoodsman

They aren't anything to brag about, but I've been waiting 2 months for my first silver with the V3i, and it feels pretty good to finally have some. As a newbie to detecting, these are also my first mercs - and both in the same day.

The 1940 was about 2 inches deep in nothing but loose sand on a high spot close to the river. I can't recall the specifics of the 1941, but I knelt down expecting to dig a shallow memorial, and as I knelt down, I could see a coin on edge with its ridges actually above ground. I was pretty amazed to find a merc instead of a clad or memorial. That coin was in a "turn out/parking area" composed of softball sized river rock with a little bit of dirt thrown in. The general area has been an active campground since at least 1912 (the age of the guard station near by), and was probably used for a few years before that. (It's hard for us folks here in the northwest to compete with the really old sites you have on the east coast.)

There are dozens of these "old" camp sites along the rivers around here. I've visited them maybe a half dozen times, and up until now, found nothing but a little clad, but my enthusiasism has been renewed. I'll be heading back to the river again tomorrow, and I hope the luck continues.

Lots of mineralization (25-35% or more, vulcanics plus serpentine): mixed mode, 3 frequency, sensitivity turned down (especially Rx), and all other settings depending on the amount of trash in the area - and my mental attitude. Digging melted aluminum globs out of old campfires can wear you down after a while - they really light up the V like silver.

Two silvers in less than a total of 3 inches! Maybe depth isn't always as important as I make it out to be. Dave

awesome finds for sure,, especially being your 1st.. aint nothing like seeing that silver layin there except of course gold. but id pick those all day long if i could. congratulation HH

Nice finds indeed, keep up the good work.

Depth might be important if needed, some good finds aren't so deep. Great finds, congratulations.

Thanks to the three of you for the congrats.

There's a post out there by oneon that says "I'll never boost or post finds again....!" Today I went further up stream, dug 2 memorials, found a 2000 dime laying on top of the ground - and filled my pockets with aluminum cans and rusty nails. In addition, everywhere I looked I saw serpentine. Mineralization was in the 45 to 65 range. I had Rx down to 4 to 7 and the V wouldn't steady out anywhere I went. I came home with my tail tucked between my legs.

I borrowed some 1955 aerial photos of the area, and I'll try to find the oldest spots that look like they were used. I'll try again, but this far up river might be better for fishing, prospecting, rock hounding and firing off a box of 45s - but not tomorrow, my ego needs a day of rest and recuperation. Dave