Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 penny sized coins? help!

SWV Coin Hunter

I found these today in a very old park, they were down about 6 inches. On my Garrett ace 350, the target ID read from a nickel to one notch below. They seen to be made of lead and have no markings on them other than the one ( coin?) That has a few around the edge.

Any guesses what they are?

I think pghmole is on the right track. The "coins" appear to have been hammered, probably an amateur attempt at making a coin "slug." Like the mole, however, I could be wrong!!

But did they have one cent vending machines back in the day? As I said, these are exactly the same size as a penny and for the most part, the same thickness but they weigh more than a penny.
I'm just as stumped as you are.

I have found similar looking items and was told they were something called "bale seals". Not sure, but I never knew what they were.

ryaan21 said:
I have found similar looking items and was told they were something called "bale seals". Not sure, but I never knew what they were.

Good eye! They well could be some unused bale seals. I say unused, because the used ones would have some sort of design, lettering or numbers pressed into them. See here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bale+seals&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS470US470&espv=210&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=4d_BUpLKFsjx2wWng4DQBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1522&bih=760

Thanks guys. I never even thought about that. Shame they are not marked so that I would have an idea how old they are.

The area where you found these.......was it close to a transportation facility of any kind? i.e., railroad depot, stage stop, trucking stop, etc.

No there are no RR tracks or anything like that located anywhere near where I found them. Just a bunch of old houses.

I went to the local history museum after finding them and asked about the history of the park. She said that it had been in use for at least 90 years and that, in the very early 20's. They would have carnivals in the park that would attract thousands of people, plus horse races and community gatherings, so really. Its hard to tell where they came from or what there were used for.

This park is one of the reasons I want to upgrade from my ACE 350 to something better. I have found some other stuff there, older coins and such ( and it did not take very long to find them) so I'm betting that this place has not been searched very much. Could be some really good finds there just waiting to picked!

Wow........sounds like you are sitting on a dream location! Best wishes to you for continued great finds!!

pghmole said:
Looks like lead slugs to me, used to fool old vending machines, not 100 % sure though
I agree with pgmole. Most penny machines back in the day didn't care what a coins weight or composition was, it was strictly mechanical. If it was sized as a penny you got your prize.

I found one very similar to the upper piece in your photo. It was in conjunction with a couple of Civil War era relics so I always thought it was a bale seal. During that time the area was a important cotton shipping center.