Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 Racer on too much trash...

3RINGER

Not a problem. Thx for taking the time and showing me the Racer tnsharpshooter, great time in the field :thumbup:

Great finds!! How deep was the relics and did you dig many nails? I look for relics mostly and have not heard as much about the Racer and relic hunting.

GR

I only have one day in a CW camp with the Racer. This camp stopped giving relics a while back. After getting a v5 I went back a hit some deep keepers in the open clean field, one being a breast plate. The above finds came from thick trash...places I and fellow hunters found hard to hunt in with nothing to show for our time. The small coil combined with the Racer opened that area up for us.

Nails were in every plug to include in the hole. As far as digging a nail thinking it was a good target it did not happen, I think this was due to how sharpshooter showed me that you do not want to play with a target to try and get it to sound good and don't scrub the ground. I found if it was a good target it would pop out at you and you knew it was good. He has more time on the unit than me and it showed....he came in behind me and pulled 2 reeds.

We are going back Friday and I hope to learn what he is listening for to pull these iffies out. I saw enough that day in the trash that I'm buying one of his pro packs to add to my arsenal, can see now that it shines in heavy trash. None of these were what I would call deep....from a 69 cal. that was right on top to about 5'' on my deepest. You could see trash on top of the ground in some spots.

detectors, and certainly I have relied on the good and very good performing detectors when Relic Hunting very trashy sites, especially in iron nail infested conditions. Over fifty years of avid metal detecting while concentrating on ghost towns, military and pioneer encampments and other old-activity sites that abound with iron for forty-six of those years. It had me relying on the very good performance I got from a favored Tesoro models or a White's MXT Pro and a few so-so rivals.

That changed this year when I got a Nokta FORS Coin & Relic in early January, especially after putting the small coil to work. I was so impressed that I was hoping for similar performance from the proposed Makro Racer, and getting one in-hand in February was more than a delight. I found the standard 7X11 DD for the FORS much more comfortable, partly due to the rod-mount location, but the same-size smaller 'OOR' coil [size=small](My term for "Out-Of-Round")[/size] at 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] inches is an absolute best-pick search coil.

I now use what I consider to be at the extreme end of best when it comers to search coil and detector selection for working trashier sites. I have a Racer with small 'OOR' coil in each of my vehicles so I'm prepared for any opportunity wherever I travel. I have other coils at-the-ready, but I go prepared for ugly conditions, which seem to be the ones I encounter the most.

garys relics said:
Great finds!! How deep was the relics and did you dig many nails? I look for relics mostly and have not heard as much about the Racer and relic hunting.
If you are hunting in any trashy site, especially when encountering ferrous junk like iron nails, the presence of shallower or co-located iron will hamper getting any benefit with detection depth. Where circuitry design and coil selection shines is being able to respond to desirable targets in a terrible, challenging environment.

The Racer has been impressing me at so many sites I have hunted with it that have-been and are challenging. Places I have hunted quite a bit with many very good detectors for decades but have been thin-pickin's in recent years. Then my Racer and OOR coil go to work and it comes to life again. :thumbup:

I encourage you to try and track down a Racer owner and do some hunting together and borrow it for a while .... if they will let you. No doubt you are going to find it to be a great detector for a variety of hunting needs, and one you'll likely want to add to your personal arsenal.

Monte

Thanks for the information on the Racer. I have been following it ever since Febuary, and reading every thing posted here about it. Monte, your reports are great, and thanks for all your effort! I have a Whites Blue and Gray and two Nautilus, and found thousands of relics in the past 40 years. If anyone around me gets one I would like to see it in action instead of videos. I live in West Virginia. Thanks again fellows and keep up the good hunting!

thx monte! I agree having him come down and taking the time to show me the unit was a large bonus. Been detecting sense 86 but still learn something every time I go out.

garys relics said:
Thanks for the information on the Racer. I have been following it ever since Febuary, and reading every thing posted here about it. Monte, your reports are great, and thanks for all your effort! I have a Whites Blue and Gray and two Nautilus, and found thousands of relics in the past 40 years. If anyone around me gets one I would like to see it in action instead of videos. I live in West Virginia. Thanks again fellows and keep up the good hunting!

gary I crew up west of Beckley...still have family up that way and plan on coming home early summer. If you don't have one and not to far be glad to let you swing the one I'm getting. I have several location I'm wanting hunt where I think it will bring out some keepers....some old home places and mining towns.

3RINGER, Thanks for reply! Maybe we will meet sometime, I live near Martinsburg, go ways from Beckley I think. I am in the heart of Civil War country, Antietam and Gettysburg., but sites are getting hard to come by. I hunt a camp that I have searched for 40 years and every now and then still find some stuff there. A school was built over the site , so you find trash, coin from kids and bulluts all in one! Sometimes nothing, that's were I want to try the Racer, I look forward to seeing your finds, good hunting!