Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 silvers last 3 hunts

larbear

Last Saturday was a beautiful day weatherwise, mid '60's, sunshine. Great day to be out dirtfishing. First stop was an elementary school, with a large grassy play area. I was using low disc, going low and slow, but was only finding clad and trash.

I decided to go to a high school football field that I had spent time at before, many times actually. I felt that I had a better chance of finding silver or gold at that location.

I kept the disc at 5, increased the sens up into the '70s, increased the thresh to +3, kept de, and 4H tones. Moving along, I was finding trash and a few clad coins that I hadn't found before. Came across a signal on the F70 that wasn't sounding that great, but good enough that I was curious as to what it might be. Lots of numbers flashing on the VDI, There was some 60 numbers and others, I don't remember them all, it was fluctuating pretty good. I did see a 86 come up at least twice if not more, so that further increased my curiosity. Depth meter showed 6 inches, so that gave me one more reason to check it out.

Pinpointing was a little difficult, I did the best I could. I found the target in the side of the hole, not in the center. But it turned out to be a '51S quarter! After that, just more trash and a little more clad.

Went back the next day and searched some more, but mostly trash and a few more clad coins.

Last night I did a short hunt at an old baseball field. Was digging mostly trash targets when I got a signal that didn't sound very good, but good enough to investigate. Once again, lots of numbers flashing on the VDI. I decided to dig based more on the audio versus any VDI numbers. Dug a very dirty wheat penny, stuck the pinpointer back in the hole. It said there was something else there. Pulled out another very dirty wheat penny, pinpointer said there is still something there. A little deeper and off to the side, I pulled out a dirty nickel, looked like it could be a war nickel. And it was, '45S. Wheat pennies turned out to be a 40S and a 45S.

I was using the 5" dd coil for all 3 hunts, no particular reason, I just like to mix things up once in a while. Many thanks to REVIER for sharing his insights about the f70.

Nice hunt. You know you are at a schoolyard when you find numerous pencil eraser tips. They have the nasty habit of having a very solid ID right where small gold starts.