Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 SOVEREIGNS?

JOHNNYBOY

Saw a nice Sov XS2 for sale on another site.Almost bought it in case my xs breaks (I've had it 13yrs) 2 things stopped me 1) I'm 70 2)there is a 90% chance my wife would imbed it in my head She doesn't understand.YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY SOVS....How many do you own?

Its is nice to have 1 or 2 extra Sovereigns incase you have a problem with your main Sovereign.
I seen the ad myself and tempted to buy it too and see if I can make it lighter somehow as I am 72 and just dont have it like I used too and havent swung my Sovereign GT this year because it wears me out fast.
I have my GT with the 8 inch coil and the 10 inch Tornado plus my SunRay DTI 3 meter and the S-1 probe, I also have my Equinox 800 which I was able to use a little bit, but to me it is no Sovereign as I cant tell the good from the bad like I can with the Sovereign. I also picked up a Troy Shadow 5 with 2 coils as I had one and sold it and regretted it. Those are the 3 I have, then my wife has a Whites MXT which is a very nice detector, a Tesoro Compadre and a Tesoro Bandit for competition hunting plus got her a whites MX 7 as it is lighter than the MXT. She hasnt used it yet as she likes her MXT and I haven't learned the MX7 either to help her.
Been detecting since 1973 and the Minelab Sovereigns really have impressed me the most and maybe the Equinox ( I hope) will impress me as well and the Sovereign has.

How are you doing with your XS?

Rick

Rick, I'll probably buy another GT if the price is right. Just sold my NOX. The weather here limits just a few detecting days until spring, and I got to make them count.. My Elite is ready, found a well groomed old( 1839) site, which the owner wants very little damage done to the ground. We know which detector to use for this type of hunt. Most women don't understand a good happy home needs at least 2-3 metal detectors.

My first detector is the Sovereign GT. Bought it in August and Minelab discontinued it that December. I am one who likes to have a spare on hand just in case. So I have a Second GT standing by and patiently waiting its turn. Hopefully it will be a good while before I need to put it into service.

I have just one GT. But I think it is evolving into something special. It has a meter where the speaker was. And I recently purchased a carbon fiber rod from Steve. Custom made with the Sovereign grip and Herke arm cuff. I also have a new ultimate 13 coil for it.

Chest mounting is the only way I use it. It makes it more than tolerable to swing.

The BBS units are still my favorite for beach hunting. They hit large gold deep while ignoring the micro stuff.

I only have one Sov (Elite), but I do have two DFXs and others ;)

I've still got my old XS, but as far as BBS machines I have 4 excaliburs. Never too many of them for me...

I 'had' 2 'prototype XS2a's but one got lost in an Office transfer?
Also have an old 'prototype' Sov GT housed in a 'Eureka' box and combined with an Excellerator 12" coil (the white one) it's 'deadly' on wet sand! PI depth...
Just last week I broke out the "XS2a" and fitted an original "White Coinsearch coil", and walked a field that had been hunted for the two weeks prior with 2 other VLF's.
I heard "several" of those lovely' warble sounds' (low conductive) and found coins and musket balls missed by the other two and didn't dig any 'iron' or 'coke!' Lovely...

Good to hear Desi as this is one of my all time favorite coil as it is so much easier to hear those tones for those starting with a Sovereign as learning it. Some of my deepest finds were found with the older coinsearch coil, seems like the hot band is bigger so you have more chance of seeing the target. Other coils are good to and for my all around coil the 8 inch coinsearch is the one I like. I dont even have one now as I sold my last one to a guy new with the Sovereign with the idea if he wants to sell it I get first dib on it. My GT I have the stock coil and the 8 inch tornado coil which I like too and did field test on 3 concentric coils for the Sovereign and love the 8 inch and the 12 inch, but not the 10 inch coil. They never got produced as it was right when the Sovereigns were being discontinued. The 12 inch really did well and got lot of coins in areas that were said worked out. That 8 inch and 12 inch I would have got if they would have been made and wish they would have been made. Kellyco had a concentric coil in the 8 inch and tried one and thought it was defective and got another and was not impressed at all.
Dont need a 5 inch coil myself as the SunRay 8 inch works for me with the narrow hot band as it can get into tight places, the stock 10 inch Tornado coil is very good coil with the 12 inch SunRay 12 inch was my favorite larger coil for me anyway. The Sovereign is one of the best detectors I have used once I got to know it well and learning the 800 Equinox now, but need more time with it as health problem I cant get out like I used to. The Sovereign GT I have sits on the wall last 2 seasons as it is too heavy to swing very long and if Minelab ever was able to make a new Sovereign in a lighter more balance detector I would have one.

Rick

Hey Rick, Good to hear you!

True, lots of folks "swear" the original 8" 'white round coil' was [ the hottest ] and [ had the best ability to discriminate ] between tabs and rings.

"Most of my Sovereign usage", was with the black coils. By the time I joined ML they had switched to the "8" & 10" BBS thick and heavy coils!
Yes, I'd have to agree: there weight of the box on the original shaft was too much for my arm to bear (especially after the orthoscoopic surgery on it last year)
However, I'm waiting for [ a weather window ] to get back to the stubble fields again before plowing begins to film the activities. I've some footage captured with the 8" white but I want to take a look "and a listen" to some others!

DD

I still have my old xs with the 8 inch coinsearch...Plus a seasearch for the water...I have thought about selling it.. but then I re-think and change my mind.

I do have two excals [one is the old sword] and an excal11.. I just seem to feel that the older technology

still cannot be beat in certain areas

Micheal

I sold my GT 1 year ago, but 1 week after that I was already regretting that I did. So 2 months ago I could buy me a good looking XS 2A. 1 month later I bought another one an Elite, so now I own 2 Sovereigns. I bought a NEL 13 / 12 inch Tornado coil that I can use on both detectors, and of course I also have the 10 inch Tornado coil that I can use.

You can never have enough Sovereigns.

Andre

Attachments

• 20210703_175917.jpg
    20210703_175917.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 164