Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2018 Find of a lifetime!

Long time no post. I use to be a regular. I'll tell you the story. A very nice land owner said I could hunt the small yard of his farm house. He added that the previous owner was into metal detecting, so I probably wouldn't find much. I hunted for around two hours and came up with some clad, a merc and a couple wheats. I didn't even look at the date on the merc. The owner was so nice, I tried to give him the merc, but he said, Naw, you keep it it's probably worth a million bucks. So I put it in my pocket. Tried to get into a few more spots but no luck, so I went to my grand daughters soft ball game. I showed the dime to my youngest grand daughter and said it was the only good find of the morning. She said, oh a 1916. I said is there a little D on the back. She studied the back and finally said, yes, there is a tiny D. I said Holy Moley!!!! It graded out at AU50 details - Scratched. Must have rubbed a rock on recovery. Thanks - Robin

Attachments

• 1916dFrontBack.jpg
    1916dFrontBack.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 435
:oops::oops::oops::oops: What an amazing find!!!
That’s a coin I still have on my bucket list
Congratulations On finding a 16’ D !!

Long time no post. I use to be a regular. I'll tell you the story. A very nice land owner said I could hunt the small yard of his farm house. He added that the previous owner was into metal detecting, so I probably wouldn't find much. I hunted for around two hours and came up with some clad, a merc and a couple wheats. I didn't even look at the date on the merc. The owner was so nice, I tried to give him the merc, but he said, Naw, you keep it it's probably worth a million bucks. So I put it in my pocket. Tried to get into a few more spots but no luck, so I went to my grand daughters soft ball game. I showed the dime to my youngest grand daughter and said it was the only good find of the morning. She said, oh a 1916. I said is there a little D on the back. She studied the back and finally said, yes, there is a tiny D. I said Holy Moley!!!! It graded out at AU50 details - Scratched. Must have rubbed a rock on recovery. Thanks - Robin
Hi Robin-----Man it's been a long time since you posted!-----Did you find the '16D merc with your Explorer 2?-----Get it graded/slabbed by one of the top grading services.------That's what I did with the one & only '16D merc that I have ever found in my detecting career.-----Your merc is a better specimen than mine is.---------Del

Hey Del,
Yea, found the dime with my Explorer II. I did get is graded and slabbed. AU50 details - scratched. Wish it didn't have the scratched on there. It is more of a rub mark down by her neck on the obverse. Sent it off to Stack's yesterday.

Congrats Robin!! That is a once in a life time. Glad to see some of us old time explorer 2 users can still find the stuff.

Wow!!! In great shape also I’ve dug quite a few 1916’s some with S always gets you hopeful!!
Mark