Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2500 gti 12.5" coil losing signal

bwireman

only my second time out in 2016, and noticed a problem with my gti 2500 with the 12.5" coil.
I always detect with the threshold at an audible level, as I know that the detector is working.
after a few minutes of swinging the detector, I noticed the threshold tone went totally quiet.
I was able to re-establish the tone by pushing on the coil connector, but after a few minutes no signal.
decided after 2 hours to head home and figure out what was causing the problem.
pulled apart the metal connector from the coil but no problems with the wires or soldering.
metered the ohmage on the transmit and 2 receive coils which checked good.
bench tested the receiver and problem again seemed to go away, so took outside to test.
after a few minutes, the problem returned again, so back to bench testing.
removed the cover on the control box and could not see any problems, so I reflowed the solder
on the pcb and coil connecter.
bench test good so back the yard, after a few minutes the problem was back again.
bench tested while removing the connector screws, and the problem disappeared.
the cable connector clamp is located directly in line with sheathing was removed.
the metal shielding is exposed where you exert pressure under the clamp causing a short in
the coil wiring.
note: the cable has a black shrink sleeving that covers the problem area, so it must be removed to
see the problem area.
once the shrink sleeving is removed you will have to remove the wires from the connector to replace
the sleeve.
solution: make a wiring diagram of the connector, then cut the wire back to where the sleeve removed.
using and exacto knife cut back about and inch and rewire the connector.
cut a piece of black sleeving and slide onto the cable, then add the clear plastic sleeve and tape in
place so it will not fall off of the cable.
since the wires on the connector are all still visible, it is idiot proof to rewire correctly, just unsolder and
rewire one wire at a time.
note: the coil is a tuned circuit, so you will have to adjust the threshold to compensate for the changes.
bwireman

I recommend that the clamp screws on the connector be set to lessen the tension applied to the cable,
back off each screw 1 to turn.
this should help to prevent the problem from occurring with your coils.
bwireman

Follow up on coil repair:
Today, I returned to the Sprint Pavilion on the Downtown Mall in Charlottesville, VA, and found 49 coins, a key and 2 bullet casings.
This was an area I had observed the problem with my detector, so the detector was not working well during the previous search.
I only search the top 2 inches of soil, because you cannot dig in this area, and hunt this area yearly.
The previous 2 hour search yielded only 34 coins, so today's 2 1/2 hours were much more productive.
So it would seem the repair to the coil was a success.