Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd coil?? which one is best for my type of hunting??

kgramlich

New a news coil for my 705!! Need more depth I also own ATP with a big Nel coil. I hunt for coins mostly in parks, older homes and the local football field. Would I want a 10.5 MF or a 6 coiltek??

Before making any recommendation Kathy, I'd like to know about your soil conditions (mineralization - GB numbers), typical trash density at the sites you want to hunt, and the coil you currently have.

I would get a 10.5 7.5 kHz coil. It is a really good coil.

kgramlich said:
New a news coil for my 705!! Need more depth I also own ATP with a big Nel coil. I hunt for coins mostly in parks, older homes and the local football field. Would I want a 10.5 MF or a 6 coiltek??

In my opinion, both coils are must have's. The 6" will be good in trashy areas and around old home sites. The 10.5" is good when it's not quite as trashy and you need more depth. The good thing about the 6" coil is that you can use it in a trashy environment and a quiet environment unlike the 10.5". I've only had one instance between those two coils that soil type made a difference and that's still debatable.

You can't go wrong with either but if it were me, I would start with the 6" first and then go with the 10.5" MF. There's magic in that 6" coil. If you are currently using a HF coil, you'll need to slow down with both the Coiltek coil and the Minelab 10.5" MF. It's been my experience that at least with the 10.5" Minelab HF coil that it reacts much faster to a target than the two coils that you are asking about. Either way you can't make a wrong decision as long as you understand the use for each of the coils. If you hunt open fields the 6" will work your arm off covering the area and the 10.5" coil will work your arm off in a different way until you get used to the weight.

Go to Coilteks web site an look at their list of coils for the XTerra, it will help.
I have a 10X5 18.75, 15" WOT 3khz and a 6" 18.75khz, i wish I would have gotten it in the 3khz(better depth), as mentioned above the 10.5 @ 7.5khz would be a good coil. Depth is something we are always chasing, your not going to find a dime size target 2 feet down with any VLF, so don't worry,in the end it's location,location,location.

kgramlich said:
On the coiltek should I get the 3 low Freguency??

http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/products/coin-relic-and-treasure-coils/6-x-terra-digger-3khz/

Thanks for all your input !! Looks like I need two new coils!! But now need to have my 705 worked on some parts numbers are missing on the screen!" I hate when things break!!

Sorry about your detector needing work I hate it when that happens! Coil choice is a big decision. Common wisdom runs essentially smaller is easier to find target, lighter to swing and less EMI driven interference. A larger coil will go deeper and cover more ground, but is heavier and harder to get into some places. This is a generalization and there are some exceptions. Coil frequency effects responsiveness to target conductivity inversely- low frequency resonates better with high conductivity (silver) and the opposite high frequency prefers gold and foil (darn). Again this is a simplification. There are other factors, but these are the first things looked at in coil choice. Another big thing is water proof vs splash proof, best choice depends on where and when you hunt. Several coils for the E-Terra are only splash proof and not designed to be held underwater, only washed, dipped or used in the rain as directed by the manufacturer.
My advice is to find and discuss with successful hunters asking them for advice. The Good Book says there is wisdom in many counselors, but they need to know what they are talking about. Even the best experts can't give good advice with out knowing your specific needs. Old Longhair has much experience and a VERY keen grasp or X-Terra's and their coils.

7centsworth said:
I would get a 10.5 7.5 kHz coil. It is a really good coil.

X2! My numbers where I hunt run from mid 20's to upper 30's. After buying this coil, I noticed a big difference in the amount of good stuff I dug. This coil comes standard on the 705 across the pond, should be that way here also.:detecting: