Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd impressions of the GT

Tin Fin

Hey all,

Ok, so I have been working with the Excal and GT, trading between them, learning them both at the same time for a few months now. Since I work full-time, have a family, and go to school part time, my free time is limited, but not always hurried. Prior to three weeks ago, I was only able to use the Excal or GT about every other or every third day in a week, then for about four hours on each of the weekend days.

This past three weeks, I have been stopping by a park close to work all but one day each week,and using the MD until dark usually. I have also been listening to Ear Training for Excal on my way to and from work since I got it a couple months ago - it does make a difference for me. But, in the past three weeks, I have noticed that I'm starting to understand target separation while using both of these machines - I use one at a time, not both at the same time - GT one day, Excal the next, or if it's raining. Today I out for about 5 1/2 hours and was using the GT, I was digging several coins that were on edge or partially on edge, thus throwing the PPing off a bit. But I did start to understand how to interpret those signals too.

I also figured out how to ID two targets close to each other, and figure out which of them is the good one, the one to dig. Both of these were pretty large steps for me to make.

If I were to scrunch all my time using the Md's into 40 hour work weeks, I would say it's taken four weeks - but doing it for small amounts of time over several months - for me to learn the interaction between the settings, the soil conditions, the weather, power lines, trash ID, various other ID's, and get to a point of grasping more about multiple targets in close proximity, and now the angular targets - those that are not on edge fully, and aren't flat either. But it's interesting with this last item that iron and good target can act similar to angular target. If I were to state the difference, I would have to say there is a pop in the sound when the GT nulls. I cannot say that I have noticed that with the Excal though. Now that I have noticed that, I will have to compare to see if there is a difference or not.

The park I'm hunting in is reasonably clean - if it was detected, it would have been a long while ago. I'm finding 40's, 50's. 60's and on cents, nickles, dimes, and quarters. Some have been silver, many have been more recent clad. I'm learning how to find the hot spots of this particular location - a lot of people go there, and anything could be anywhere. There is also a high school right next to it - so there are a lot of students that go there, use the volleyball pits, or the baseball diamonds. Plus the regular picnic tables, kid swings and such. One of the clues I have picked up on is to find the spots where trees used to be. Find where there is a mound, the tree has been cut, and the stump has been chipped; all some years ago - the targets I have found near these are in the 40's or sometimes the 50's. The bigger trees could have anything around them. And finding the pressed down grass where people were laying on the lawn is a good bet too.

Being a park, with well-kept lawns, and higher end business people that patronize it, I have passed certain targets that I know are good, but I would have to dig too deep to get them - or, I have to refine my digging methods. I don't take the Predator Tools digger there, lest someone call the cops saying I have a knife - it wouldn't be fun to explain. But, if I see a cop, I may well ask him to look the tool over and ask them if it's ok for me to use in that park. At least that way, I would be able to do a better job, and the cops would know who I am.

So, between finding the patterns in this particular park, and working with the Excal and GT, I would say you all have me hooked on these two tools. The sounds are new to me, the various tones, though not totally new, are busier than other detectors. But in that busy signal, is a boatload of information that I'm starting to feel comfortable with, and it's starting to show in my finds.

So now, my biggest problem using these MDrs, is finding the time to.

The main reason I'm posting this, isn't for the more experienced GT users, or Excal users, but for those that are relatively new to it. I'm not a fast learner, but I am methodical in my approach. Each person observes different things, and these are some of mine. If you are new to it, stick with it, it won't be long before you start feeling comfortable with it. I tried my dad's BH the other day, and I almost couldn't stand it because there was no information in the tones - fancy that, all the confusing sounds that made me think this was an expensive mistake, actually mean something to me now. And that will happen to you as a newb too. Be patient, test your own theories, and prove them to your self. Then post your findings here; it's really worth it, because the experienced users do give valid feedback and insights on your observations.

On Sunday, I plan an 8-10 hour hunt on the family land...

HH

This is good to see that you have the patience to use these detectors as it takes a while for some and some learn faster plus you will learn more each and every time out with it. This is why I say don't give up and keep using the Sovereigns as you will learn more by actual experience than you will by doing air test and test gardens. You do learn a little by them, but the real learning is actually using it to hunt with.
Some of the things you will learn is going real slow in some areas you will hear those real deep coins, then doing the Sovereign wiggle the tones and meter numbers may not reach the correct numbers and tones, but they sure are trying to. Just a slight change of threshold tones can also be a very deep target. You will be able to swing the coil and hear the different tones and keep right on swinging the coil as you know it is not a good one, then all of a sudden that one tone you hear will stop you in your tracks and you will swing over it again and tell if it is a good one you want to check over, or one to walk away from. Then there will be the ones that just sound different then you ever heard before, so you will dig it to just see what it is.
It is a wonderful detector for those that want one of the best and willing to stick with it and understand it as the Sovereign will give you much info and let you the operator decide to dig or not. As you get to use it more I feel it will also impress you more as you learn.

Good luck.

Rick

Rick, what do you mean when you said the change on threshold it is a dipper target? this is a totally news to me, I never thought that mean a target at all, all this time I'm thinking that it is switching to other frequency :unsure:, can you provide little more information on that subject? :please: , bytheway I have been using the GT for the last 6 months and only when the weather is clear, as now I have been using the SEF 15X12 and I have learned how to separate the targets and I can tell when the target is dip (in fact I'm able to said when is dipper than 8") just on the sound because sounds like it is far away but clear, and I'm almost to the point to tell what coin it is.
but this threshold change it is news to me. and let me tell you that I ear that a lot, all the time! and that means only one thing, I'm missing all the good targets, because as today I haven't find any silver or gold jet.
anyone Else out here willing to enlighten with your experiences on this threshold change will be appreciated.

TIN FIN, you are just like me, we are using all our extra time to learn our machines but I have to said, you took the time to write about your experiences and I thank you for that. in this part of the US the weather is to wet and I take every moment that is dry to go out and practice on the tones, recently I purchase a 180 meter and that helps a lot (only on not to dip targets but when I dig closer and use the probe that the #s came up clear, as now I'm very impress whit the depth on that 15X12 SEF because today I got a quarter at 11" the tone was solid but the numbers were jumping all over and the probe will only see the target at 3 to4" the most so when I got about 8" then the numbers were right on the 179-180.
well so far I'm please with my GT next week I should receive my new 12X10 and will be testing it as soon the weather permits.
Thank you.
Abel.

Tin Fin said:
So, between finding the patterns in this particular park, and working with the Excal and GT, I would say you all have me hooked on these two tools. The sounds are new to me, the various tones, though not totally new, are busier than other detectors. But in that busy signal, is a boatload of information that I'm starting to feel comfortable with, and it's starting to show in my finds.

So now, my biggest problem using these MDrs, is finding the time to.

The main reason I'm posting this, isn't for the more experienced GT users, or Excal users, but for those that are relatively new to it. I'm not a fast learner, but I am methodical in my approach. Each person observes different things, and these are some of mine. If you are new to it, stick with it, it won't be long before you start feeling comfortable with it. I tried my dad's BH the other day, and I almost couldn't stand it because there was no information in the tones - fancy that, all the confusing sounds that made me think this was an expensive mistake, actually mean something to me now. And that will happen to you as a newb too. Be patient, test your own theories, and prove them to your self. Then post your findings here; it's really worth it, because the experienced users do give valid feedback and insights on your observations.

HH

After getting used to my GT, I don't think I could stand a "quiet" detector again. I was recently debating between a cz and an excal. One of the biggest reasons I went with the excal was the tones, threshold, etc.

OK, Some of the deeper targets will be very small when you go over the target and many times it just a slight change in the threshold you will hear as it is so deep and small. These that you hear by going slow as swinging fast you will not hear them as the coil don't get a chance to see them. Now when you do hear the threshold change slightly you will want to go back over that area and see if you can get it to repeat and by doing the Sovereign wiggle you will hear the tones and meter numbers trying to climb which is a good sign it is a deep target. Now if I feel it maybe a deep coin I will now switch to all metal pinpoint and pinpoint it using the 90 degree turn so the target will be right under the center of the coil and will dig a plug with my Lesche and pull the dirt out and go in with my Sun Ray Probe in all metal and get a signal, if not I check my plug and dirt pile and if it is not there I will dig deeper as I have got coins over 12 inches deep on land with my 8 inch coinsearch coil and go back into the hole with the probe.
Anyway the tone change is got when going slow and you will have to go over the area where the tone changed to see if you can find the target as it will be repeatable and doing the Sovereign wiggle will make this tone get better. If it seems to move around or only one way chance are it is not a good signal.

Rick

Thank you Rick(ND), I don't even whant to think about how many times I have heard that change on threshold and like you said I sweep back and the threshold changes again, but I have never done the weegle on them.
from now on I will be more countience about and hope I can get that silver find.
All this time I've been thinking that the Sov. was changing frequency, :drool::angry:

Rick, are you talking about a threshold null? I have never had a positive threshold change without an initial target response from my GT.

The threshold changes when it see another target and some of these are so deep they are a small area and this is where the change in threshold you may hear even though you don't hear a actual target response. If you are swinging fast you may never hear them, but slow you can hear them and by working the signals doing the Sovereign wiggle over just that small area of the target you will hear the tone probably trying to raise as it is trying to tell you there is a very deep target that it can hardly see. For me I seem to get more nulling of iron so a raise in threshold is easy to hear over the low tone growl of iron. After you have got a few of them you will see the ones you can get to repeat and the ones you walk away from. The majority will repeat and then there are some you just have to dig as they just sound too good to pass up, most of this you will learn from experience with the Sovereign and why I say you learn something new each time out with it.

Rick there is nothing I could do to recreate your threshold change without an initial target response. The only thing my threshold does is null sometimes before the target if I go really slow.
The threshold changes but only after get a millisecond response from the target. The threshold retains the pitch of the initial response.

My settings are, volume 3/4, sensitivity 12 oclock, Iron mask on, NC band 2, disc and notch at the lowest setting.
I tried wireless and wired headphones. Iron mask on and off. If I went any slower I would be going backwards.

I have coins at all depths up to 10 inches and they've been buried over a year and were originally dug coins (none silver).
The only time I get a threshold change without a target signal is from EMI.

I have no doubt that what you tell me is true because I have heard others comment on it. Its just that my GT doesn't do it.
Maybe you have settings that I can mimic? Should my sense be cranked to near instability?
What am I missing?

If the sensitivity it too high it will of course null, but it can also fade in and out or change to a different tone because of that too. Easiest way to tell is to center over any spot where it seemed to change and then wiggle. If nothing is there then you know it's changing due to too high of a sensitivity setting. I tend to ride that very edge of sensitivity anyway and put up with a little unstable threshold here and there, and can tell if it's changing from a somewhat unstable sensitivity level or if it's a target responsible. If there is any doubt in my mind I just move the coil over that spot, wiggle, and see.

One of the wierd things that just happenend today when hunting but has happened to me before is sometimes when riding the edge of sensitivity is that the threshold will kind'a of fade out and still be there but will be lower in volume where I can just hardly hear it, and then it will come back again several seconds later. It's almost like the machine is wanting to null because of too high of sensitivity but instead the threshold just gets super low for several seconds at a time and then comes back.

I'm not sure if riding the edge of sensitivity this far up to where the machine is a good bit unstable is the best thing to do for max depth yet. I have a suspicion that I'm so overloading the machine that it might null out on a deep target because it's being pushed too far to handle the overload from the target when I hit it. Don't see a problem with shallower targets, though. Anybody have any opinion on this? For max depth do you think it's better to lower sensitivity to where the machine is more stable or better to ride a real unstable threshold like this?

I run a little higher sensitivity and also I do not use the silent search or you will never hear them either. I run my sensitivity more in the 10-11 o'clock position and going slow at time depending on the signals i am getting, but in the areas I feel there could be those real deep signals I probably will swing 2 feet in4-5 seconds, with the Sovereign you can not go too slow, but can go too fast real easy trying to get a signal, but when you do then doing the Sovereign wiggle over only that small area the tones should get better.
Much of this has to do with getting experience in the Field on actual targets, like driving a car as the more you use it the easier it is to use and the more things you are able to do. reading a book on driving or driving up and down your drive way is not the same. This is where air test and test garden only give you a idea, but in the real world of detecting is different.

Good luck and feel you will see and learn more about your Sovereign and will be impressed at what this detector can do.

Rick

Of all the settings to forget..I use threshold only, don't care for Silent search.
To me judging the area effectively without going all-metal requires a threshold.

I can tell when I'm in a busy area just by the iron nullling and or occasional falsing.
Thanks for your feedback Rick, I'll just have to keep "plugging" away....Grin