Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd relic hunt with v3i

Well my buddy and I headed down to our area in Kentucky and he used his older whites model and experimented with his new Minelab PI. Certain areas had very bad EMI from the overhead power lines. He couldn't get his PI to settle down at all, and was having trouble with the XLT. I could hear the EMI badly as well, but I was able to hunt right under the power lines with decreasing the RXG on the V3i. Below are my finds, with all found during the last 2/3 of the trip (again, only my 2nd time out relic hunting with the V3i, so I was still learning what it was telling me)

I think the upper right is part of a hotchkiss shell, the 2 parrot frags look the might even be from the same piece! and the 6 lb borman top. I think the lower right pieces might be a small pocket knife, large lead grape shot (love these, since we usually find the iron ones), and I'm not sure what the upper left piece is? Maybe a horse bridle thing? Oh, and the number 6 thing might be an old cow tag?

All in all not bad and we had fun. My buddy killed it on finding 3 ringers and round balls with his XLT, but we knew it like the back of our hands, and I'm still learning the v3i. Can't wait to go again!

Bubba

Thanks texjim! I'm thinking of trying just the 7.5 frequency next time to see if it helps or hurts. The last field we hunted was few and far between, but I know that there is more in there!

I'm still working in getting the threshold where I want it and the RD just right for these fields.

Bubba

Howdy Bubba--

Some real neat relics there. I'm sure that you will get to know your V "like the back of your hand" with practice and a little trial and error. It's a monster for relics. I dug an A cuff button at 10" using the D2 coil. The cordless head phones are great too if you hunt in rough country. I remember relic hunting with my old trusty DFX and having the cord get caught on a mesquite branch. Had the headphones pulled off of my head more than a few times. That doesn't happen now with the V3i & coldless headphones. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks squirrel and others! Do you think I would better to run in single frequency, 7.5? But I'm afraid of just the one color on analyzing the target vs the 3 colors. Would I be able to differentiate the iron vs lead in just the single frequency? Any ideas?

I can't honestly remember which frequency was strongest for iron junk and lead bullets on the other frequency. But I do remember the middle, 7.5, red for copper/brass, etc. Now is the hi frequency usually iron, and the lower frequency, shows a "bullet" better, or vice versa? Please help! I honestly do not remember now. Old age.

Thank you, bubba

Low 2.5 for high conductor like copper and silver. 7.5 for mid range stuff and 22.5 for low conducive stuff like gold iron and lead. Having said that the pointy tip of a nail can. Pinpoint strongest on 2.5 and if there is enough mass iron can be strongest on 2.5 as mass plays a role in conductivity of a target

Howdy Bubba--

Postal Two is right about the strengths of each of the frequencies. In my area, though, lead bullets usually pinpoint with 7.5 frequency dominant. My preference when detecting is to use 3 frequency. I detect a CW era trail and military campsite where small pieces of rusty cans, although they give good audio and VDI readings, invariably pinpoint with 22.5 frequency dominant. That alone can save time and be easier on the back! I've got that old age problem too. But it sure IS better than the alternative! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thank you both! But if I hunt only in 7.5, Will I be able to differentiate between iron and lead, or another goody, with just the 7.5 frequency color bar alone? When pinpointing and analyzing, etc. does that make sense?

Thanks again,
Bubba

I would say no. Because u will have nothing to compare to. It really would depend on ur. Exp with the machine and how good ur ear is. Imo seeing all three freq is the way to go.

What is it that ur trying to accomplish running single 7.5?

Howdy Bubba--

Yes, your question does make sense. When I relic hunt, I accept VDI's down to negative 70, so in my opinion, the VDI reading can be the best indication of the composition of a target. In my experience, for DEEP targets, you can throw VDI readings and Pinpoint frequency readings out the window and rely primarily on audio signal. My rule of thumb is that if I get a good (or not so good) audio signal that pinpoints deep, I dig! So, to answer your question, in my experience the answer is NO. I hope that helps. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

In an area with potential for Civil War artifacts; why would you not want to dig iron objects. Rifle parts, bayonets, knife parts, spoons, cannon ball fragments, etc. are all great iron finds for your collection. Detecting with the V3i in a single frequency will give you more depth since the available Rx power in not distributed between all three frequencies but focused to the selected frequency (Carl's manual-Page 4-2- paragraph Single Frequency-Line 3). I would use 7.5kHz and un-Normalized would spread the VDIs out.

Explorer said:
In an area with potential for Civil War artifacts; why would you not want to dig iron objects. Rifle parts, bayonets, knife parts, spoons, cannon ball fragments, etc. are all great iron finds for your collection. Detecting with the V3i in a single frequency will give you more depth since the available Rx power in not distributed between all three frequencies but focused to the selected frequency (Carl's manual-Page 4-2- paragraph Single Frequency-Line 3). I would use 7.5kHz and un-Normalized would spread the VDIs out.

Explorer, oh I have NO problem digging large iron. This is how I found shell frags this past weekend. I will post the goodies that I found when I get home tonight. But here is a picture of the large iron that I found using 3 frequency with 22.5 dominant.

I had miss interpreted what you were asking when trying to differentiate between iron and lead. I assumed you wanted to eliminate the iron targets.

Hey explorer, I might have been confusing in my postings. I enjoy finding large iron (frags, shells, etc) but was trying to eliminate the small iron. I need to put together my next posting and show what I found and how

Bubba

Looking forward to seeing all your great finds!