Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd Trip with the Manticore

Tommy Boy

I started early this morning, with the Manticore, I was in All Terrain General, using the 8 M coil. I found a lot of coins, the oldest from the early 70's, but that makes them 50 years old. I found that running Sens at 20 was plenty high enough, I was digging 8" targets with no problem. I would swing the coil and soon as I heard a nice high tone, I would check the numbers, then look at the target trace, if those 3 things lined up, it was a coin. The cool thing about target trace, is you are able to see multiple targets on the screen with each sweep of the coil.

The M8 coil will hit an 8" dime in this soil, with room to spare, in prospect mode it will find more buckshot than I want to dig, so that tells me it will find gold nuggets. So far I have used All Terrain General the most, AT High Conductor works pretty good, and using Trash Reject, I was able to pull a penny out of an area loaded with modern trash.

I am going to have to wait on exploring the caves, until the ground around them dries up. We had rain all last week and water is still seeping from the rocks on the face of the cliffs, making them extremely slippery. I added some pictures, so you can get an idea of the area.

So far I have found 3 caves, one looks like it has seen some heavy activity, but it is like a 45° angle with no steps and the last 8' in front of the cave is extremely slippery, due to water seeping from the cliffs.

IMG_20240131_101405566_HDR.jpg

I started early this morning, with the Manticore, I was in All Terrain General, using the 8 M coil. I found a lot of coins, the oldest from the early 70's, but that makes them 50 years old. I found that running Sens at 20 was plenty high enough, I was digging 8" targets with no problem. I would swing the coil and soon as I heard a nice high tone, I would check the numbers, then look at the target trace, if those 3 things lined up, it was a coin. The cool thing about target trace, is you are able to see multiple targets on the screen with each sweep of the coil.

The M8 coil will hit an 8" dime in this soil, with room to spare, in prospect mode it will find more buckshot than I want to dig, so that tells me it will find gold nuggets. So far I have used All Terrain General the most, AT High Conductor works pretty good, and using Trash Reject, I was able to pull a penny out of an area loaded with modern trash.

I am going to have to wait on exploring the caves, until the ground around them dries up. We had rain all last week and water is still seeping from the rocks on the face of the cliffs, making them extremely slippery. I added some pictures, so you can get an idea of the area.

So far I have found 3 caves, one looks like it has seen some heavy activity, but it is like a 45° angle with no steps and the last 8' in front of the cave is extremely slippery, due to water seeping from the cliffs.

View attachment 52441
IMG_20240131_100650251.jpg

I haven't ventured into the caves yet, I have been waiting for it to dry up a bit, the cave with the big round entrance has well worn trails going into it, so when I do go in, I'm gonna be packing a hot lead machine.

I went into a cave with my grandson, here in Arkansas , that was over a mile long, but it was a guided tour.

back to the Manticore, I pounded that area hard for a couple of hours, then a local guy shows up with a Garrett metal detector, he told me that, that area has been hit with every detector made, and I probably won't find much. Well I found a lot of coins, going back to the 70's, so I felt pretty good by pulling coins out of a pounded site.

What I have learned about the Manticore, is you don't need a lot of Sensitive to get great depth, 20 works great. When Target Trace starts showing multiple targets, switch to High Trash, and you will be amazed.

With the M8 coil, I switched to AT High Conductors and almost instantly hit a 9" dime, about 12" away from a huge tree trunk. The M8 coil is going to quickly pay for itself, by getting into tight places. Target Trace and the M8 coil were made for each other.

I'm an old fart, and not super High Tech.I wish I was talented enough to do videos of my hunts. I have been detecting 25 years, and the one thing on my bucket list is a gold coin. I have found about everything else , I have found gold nuggets, coins, jewelry, meteorites, and relics. The Manticore is definitely capable of finding gold coins.

I haven't ventured into the caves yet, I have been waiting for it to dry up a bit, the cave with the big round entrance has well worn trails going into it, so when I do go in, I'm gonna be packing a hot lead machine.

I went into a cave with my grandson, here in Arkansas , that was over a mile long, but it was a guided tour.

back to the Manticore, I pounded that area hard for a couple of hours, then a local guy shows up with a Garrett metal detector, he told me that, that area has been hit with every detector made, and I probably won't find much. Well I found a lot of coins, going back to the 70's, so I felt pretty good by pulling coins out of a pounded site.

What I have learned about the Manticore, is you don't need a lot of Sensitive to get great depth, 20 works great. When Target Trace starts showing multiple targets, switch to High Trash, and you will be amazed.

With the M8 coil, I switched to AT High Conductors and almost instantly hit a 9" dime, about 12" away from a huge tree trunk. The M8 coil is going to quickly pay for itself, by getting into tight places. Target Trace and the M8 coil were made for each other.

I'm an old fart, and not super High Tech.I wish I was talented enough to do videos of my hunts. I have been detecting 25 years, and the one thing on my bucket list is a gold coin. I have found about everything else , I have found gold nuggets, coins, jewelry, meteorites, and relics. The Manticore is definitely capable of finding gold coins.
How do you get to the high trash mode ?