Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd Walking Liberty and 5th Merc

shafer44

Well, first, about a week or so ago, I was bored and went to a couple of parks. I did not have much luck, only found a few clad coins at one so I went to another park. I was hunting in the box first and did find more clad coins and was at about $2 worth when I got a hit almost under one of the swings. This park redid the box from sand to chips and when they do this, they put some black canvas cloth down and then dump wood chips all over the cloth. Normally, when I get a hit in these boxes that is 5-6" deep, it ends up being some aluminum peg that they use to anchor the cloth. I got such a hit and dug down thru the bark or wood chips only to find the black cloth, I checked the hole and still was getting a good solid 80 VDI with my V3i and my 9" spider eclipse coil. I took my lesche and poked a "V" type cut in the cloth and then stuck the lesche down in the sand another 3 inches or so and out pops a 1942 Merc. I was really surprised to find my fifth merc in a park sand/chip box. Then I later found a baby ring (junker....made of copper), but look at the size of it compared to this Mercury dime. Man it is small. The V3i will really find some small targets!! It was about 5" deep.
Then today, I had downsized my bed to a queen size, so I found a queen size headboard on craigslist and went to buy the headboard from this guy. I met him at his house and bought the headboard, and then asked him how long he had lived there. He had only been there since '94, but I knew the house was built in the 50's. I asked him if he would mind if I used my detector to try and find a few old pennies. He told me to go ahead, he did not care at all. I grabbed my swingy thingy, my treasure belt/pouch and my V3i and headed for the front yard. I was finding NOTHING at all for a good 30 minutes, then i had 3 or 4 signals that hit 83, but they were not quarters....they were some triangle shaped aluminum pieces. I continued for another 20 minutes or so and finally found a clad quarter. I started working my way back across the front yard and towards the back as he had a good size side yard also, when I got a strong 91 VDI. I have dug lots of 91 hits that usually ends up junk....but, i do dig them anyway, because we never know til we dig. Well, I dug 3-4 inches and nothing, check the hole and yep, it is still there. I stuck the lesche up to the hilt and popped this dirt out and when I did, I say the coin drop back in the hole. I reached in and VOILA!!! My second walking liberty, a 1941 plain. You just never know what you will find in someone's yard. I would have been happy to find a silver Rosie.....but, I will gladly keep my Walker.

Thanks, Postal Two

Good hunting there shafer44! It's always a pleasant surprise to see a Walking Liberty half in the bottom of the hole. Keep hunting those kind of sites and you will get more of them. A tip of the hat on that merc #5! Your persistence paid off! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel