Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3 more muzzle loader round balls

Ground_Hog_MD

dug up three more round balls today.

Those are cool !

Always wondered what the value of some of those things are. Are they just nice keepsakes for a collection or would someone pay more than scrap lead value?

I'm getting more curious lately because I found a few this spring, a three ringer and a 2 ringer.

Should I put them on display or throw them in the scrap lead bucket?:confused:

According from research I did on musket balls, the Rev War troops had musket guns and farmers had them too at that time and even used musket guns in the 1800's. I find musket balls in old crop fields or in woods, and most are perfectly round which means they were accidently dropped, probably by a farmer. Dug up at least 50 (about 3 different sizes) over the years. Most were dropped, about 1 out of 15 are flattened somewhat and were fired from the gun.

its not always about the value of the find. i still get just as excited digging them up here in the USA as i did when i was digging them up in the 70`s in Spain and Italy
as far as a cash value or not, i figure if displayed nicely they could sell if you chose to do so. personally i would keep them and display them with your other finds.
if they where dropped by a farmer, soldier, or anyone else, they are still a nice find and a piece of our history.
and, they sure beat the hell outta digging up pop tops.