Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3 Piece Shaler Bullet

Cajuncoinhunter

Dug this 3 piece Shaler in Culpeper VA last year. When I found the top and button , I dug every signal until I found the middle at about 18" down. It was a good find in the hot VA soil. CCH

Nice find and good persistence! I dug the middle piece some years ago and hunted my butt off to find the rest...to no avail. That spot is long gone now to development but many bullets, including a few intact Spencers, and a few buttons.

Nice bullet buddy. I hunt a couple spot that they've been found. I've never found any of the pieces yet.

Wow! I can picture you digging up every signal to get that middle piece! Definitely one type I would love to dig some day. Alas, I haven't heard of anyone finding them here in Missouri.

ironman200081 said:
Wow! I can picture you digging up every signal to get that middle piece! Definitely one type I would love to dig some day. Alas, I haven't heard of anyone finding them here in Missouri.

There were "lots" of them dug at this particular spot. Some in pieces, some all together. I do particularly remember one hunter digging a hut and he found 200 complete Shalers (or more) in the hole. Guess it was a box (or crate) of them left behind. I will try and get a picture of it. CCH

That's awesome. Nice job.

Minelab GPX 4800 is what I use in the "hot" soil in VA. I did some serious digging to find it; almost gave up but glad I didn't. CCH.

Question......Why was it made in three pieces. Sorry to sound dumb here..but I have never hunted anything Civil War related and don't know or ever heard of a thee piece bullet.
Thanks
EL

E-
This bullet aka the Shaler 3 stage bullet was supposed to be more accurate compared to the minie. It was not. I think they were supposed to separate and spin but not sure if it really worked ??? It was eventually considered to be a bad idea. One reason is that it was very heavy (almost 2X) when compared to the regular minie so most Union troops discarded them because they didn't want to have to carry the extra weight. The muzzle velocity of this projectile was also decreased and the "kick" / recoil of the rifle was increased so it was not well liked by the Union soldiers.

Other than that, I would welcome any additional information. I know they are really sought after by CW bullet collectors.

CCH.

Elton said:
Question......Why was it made in three pieces. Sorry to sound dumb here..but I have never hunted anything Civil War related and don't know or ever heard of a thee piece bullet.
Thanks
EL

Here's an "after" picture from the digger who located a couple of hundred (all 3 pieces) Shalers in a pit he dug out in 2016. Now that's a find. I was lucky enough to see them coming out of the ground. Regardless, I was still happy with my 1 Shaler. LOL. CCH

Cajuncoinhunter said:
Minelab GPX 4800 is what I use in the "hot" soil in VA. I did some serious digging to find it; almost gave up but glad I didn't. CCH.

Thanks,CCH--continued good luck to you. BTW what is the deepest cannon ball/shell you have found with your 4800? Thanks.

Doc -

Never found a shell with the GPX. I hunt with the F75 LTD here in Louisiana due to the target ID # / display. I have found parrot shells at 2 and 1/2 down to 3 feet with it. Sounds like a Volkswagon buried under ground. LOL.

Most cannon balls we've found in fields here are just under the surface and haven't been buried that deep. I think they just get rolled around over and over by the discs and plows and don't bury. Just my opinion. Thanks for your comments. CCH

doc holiday232 said:
Cajuncoinhunter said:

Thanks,CCH--continued good luck to you. BTW what is the deepest cannon ball/shell you have found with your 4800? Thanks.

Thanks CCH--my interest is cannon projectiles so deeeeep iron is what I'm after.Hunted for years with the Garrett Deep Seeker and now use the TDI Pro---due to some health issues,broken leg and shoulder operation I haven't been able to really hunt with my TDI so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the reply and continued good luck to you---always enjoy your posts.