Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

305 defeated

trueblue

went for a hunt in the scrub yesterday at an old town site , 305 was unable to achieve a ground balance here in most areas the few small areas were I could was @ 2 , would the 705 with its broader adjustment do any better here for me or is the GB window the same on both just with finer adjustment on the 705

Before admitting defeat, I would want to know which coil you had on. Coil selection can be everything.

As far as GB ranges go, I believe that the 705 has a broader range, not just finer increments.
I'm sure that Randy will be along to correct me shortly if I'm wrong. :lol:

It sounds like the conditions there are more than a concentric coil can deal with regardless of GB adjustment range. A DD of any size or frequency would probably be an improvement, and a small DD would be best.

One more question. Where were you trying to run the SENS at? In situations such as you decribed, it isn't unusual to have the SENS down around 15 to run stable.

Think of it this way. The SENS adjustment is what regulates how deep your detector sees. A concentric coil by design sees a large patch of ground and everything inside inclusively. Dialing back the SENS will cause it to see less and make it easier to run w/o the accumulative effect of as much conductive materal. Also by design, a DD coil looks at a narrower slice, so it suffers less from the accumulative effect experienced with the concentric coil, resulting it the operator being able to run it hotter. And likewise, the smaller DD will see even less than the larger one, and will suffer the least, meaning that it can be run the hottest, sacrificing little depth.

yeah I dont have any other coils for the xterra atm , I also used an Eldorado Umax with 5.75 concentric there it would GB all beit very touchy in the harsher areas and ran smooth with sens up to 8 ...I will take the Tejon with a 5x10 DD there and see how I go ..btw the 305 did manage to score a small silver coin @ 2- 3 inches in the area I could get it balanced @2 sens @ 7 , I d still like to know if the 705 with stock coil could of done better for me

the sensativity had no effect on GB didnt make any diff if I backed off to its lowest setting I could not adjust the 305 low enough to get balance , I still detected with the sens @3 -5 theshold @ lowest setting and at that it ran chattery but enough to be usable alough I didnt dig any targets deeper than an inch or so , when I got into better ground were I could balance and get the sens up to 7 "no higher without chatter" I did manage a few targets to 3 inchs ...oh yeah Im sure if I had a DD for xterra things woulda been alot different , I may get one in the future if I come across a cheap second hand

trueblue said:
I d still like to know if the 705 with stock coil could of done better for me
Unless it is an EMI issue, where the additional Noise Cancel channels available with the 705 might have helped, I doubt that the 705 would have been any advantage.