Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

#36 FTY in Park Grass & a Beautiful Day!

Haven't been on here for a while but thought I'd try it out again. I'm not having any problems with my SE Pro except for the fact that I completely destroyed my last one after three years of use. I bought another good used one from a fella in Chicago and it's working well.

I found this Rosie in a grassy park on a gorgeous yesterday (July 7th) and wound up with nothing but clad, 2 wheats and many memorials, as well as the usual screw caps, can slaw, etc... on todays trip. This is the first silver I've ever found in this park and I've done it many times. Low and slow lately with settings tweaked for all the trash and steel and iron scrap.

I've been on another site for a long time and was fortunate to run into one of your administrators today. We are in the planning stage of making a trip to some abandoned properties in the near future. I'll try and keep you posted as the area looks promising.

My name is Ed and I go by Ohio Dirt Fisher, or ODF for short.

GL & HH to all and have fun out there!

Well congratulations ODF/Ed.
I haven’t posted here in a long time either. Mainly because I stopped using my Explorer and started using another machine but that is another story.

Keep it up with the silver’s!

Tony

Very nice! I was hoping somebody would be out withe the Explorer! I thought everyone sold out for a new model!:shrug:

Thanks fellas! No, I haven't sold out. But I must confess that I used an AT Pro all of last year (2017, for the record.) and did about as well with the exception that I'm 2 months ahead this year of last years count with the SE Pro on ground, grass and woods I've literally hammered to death. Although I must say that I did go over this particular ground with the AT Pro with many wheat finds. So there may or may not be something to say about that. I've always found, within the last few months, that I'm cherry picking, low and slow, and sometimes hot as hell on settings, that I look like I'm standing still on most hunts with the SE Pro. I dance more with the detector than I do with the wife! :lol: But when I find it, and show her, she light's up and remembers the years. :clap: You have to have a tool shed to look for silver, no doubt. Honestly fellas, GL out there! Slow down, listen, and watch the VID. That's what I've learned. So it's a Rosie. Maybe next week it'll be a barber, or a seated, or a half real. Ya never know!

Sometimes I do.

Ed

Thanks Tony! You must be the Big T!

Ed

I havent sold out either I love my SE I will not part with it. I love the pinpointing on it, its second to none.

Yes Ed, that’s me.

Plenty of good information on how to use an Explorer.
Now that the NOX forum is the new steady stream of comments,Ii’s a little quiet here.

Best of luck,

Tony

That's great Tony! You know I'm really beginning to wonder about today's new and modern machines. I know guys that would kill if you'd tried to steal their Etrac or SE Pro. I thought about this for a while and I kind of summed up a scenario which I'd perused for a while.

1. Software changes really can't get and haven't got much better. The package that contains the software can get smaller and a little faster because of micro electronics, but what does that leave you with? Granted a smaller and lighter machine which may be faster, but essentially a machine that does the same thing only a little faster. So, let's see, does this mean you can cover more ground by swinging faster? Can you discriminate better because of it? I think not. All machines have to have a user who understands the limits of the software, no matter how much money you spend or how great you think your machine is. It all comes down to the user. I've actually had people tell me that if you don't swing fast enough the software can't figure it out. I tell them I need a cold beer (or 2) and excuse myself! Considering FBS is doing the swinging.

2. No relative consumer technology for the real "detectorist" has really gotten any better. (Hey, are you listening Minelab?) Sure, it's a whoop di doop machine, but where does it get you? New bells, new whistles, lighter, faster, blah, blah, blah..... But what it comes down to basically is the user and the location. Where are the PROFESSIONAL MACHINES?

3. There are no hunted out parks, permissions, farm land homesteads, and on and on. If any one of you believes any of the above are hunted out, well, not to be abusive, but you're dead wrong. Today the machine manufactures' expect us to think that with their new machine you will be in Wonderland. If you are not a "Detectorist", you may well be, in Wonderland. And I'll tell you why. If you want to find anything, you have to work for it. You have to use one or two machines and pound the living hell out of sites using all the skill of your patience, knowledge of the machine and desire to find real targets.

4. Basically, you have to be addicted to the sport (not hobby) of detecting. This means planning, patterning, determination and consistency. Day after day after day after day. You just never give up. And, yeah, there may be a few weekenders out there who are doing quite well at old county fairgrounds and abandoned ballfields, but they are in the minority.

If any of you think that a new machine will do you any better than what an old machine did, unless you incorporate #4 in my list of requirements, it won't happen.
Serious Detectorist's, such as myself, know this. And this isn't to dissuade you or piss you off. This is to tell it like it is. I know I just reintroduced myself to the forum here, and the reason was I was out DETECTING! I'm a Detectorist, and I'm proud and humble that I find what I can with my old discontinued machine.

Go "DETECT" fellas. There is nothing in the world like the feeling of seeing that bit of silver (or gold) in the hole!

Ed

Well said Ed. I don't feel the new machines are better then the ones we all use (FBS of course).

On the other hand - the new machines bring something to the hobby and that remains to be seen.

I know folks who use very old machines (older than the FBS) and just get a signal and dig. They find more Indian Head cents than I do but they don't get the depth of the FBS machines or the signals we get.

Now with my hearing I have another problem and I am hoping that the new machines like the Impact and NOX can assist me a little more in that area.
Now I haven't sold off my Exp 2's and probably won't because they find really cool stuff for me and I hope to use them again this fall.

Tony

Thanks Mike! It's too bloody hot lately for me to make it out but I'll do my best to post. Man, you've been on 12 years. I'm just a newbie!:lol:

Ed

Explorer.se said:
I havent sold out either I love my SE I will not part with it. I love the pinpointing on it, its second to none.

Hey explorer, that's what I do to. I get this spot that say's iffy with the IM on (16, 18 ) and I shut it off and redo the dance, sometimes turn down the sense. I've surprised myself many times. GL & HH out there and have fun learning and exploring! It's what we do!

Ed

Welcome back Ed,

Glad to see you're getting out and enjoying your Explorer.

The FBS and FBS2 Detectors continue to be very formidable models despite their age. I bought my original Explorer XS back when they were first introduced. I finally 'updated' when the Etracs came out. I am still using my Etrac. I do have some 'newer' technology that performs very well in areas where my etrac struggles; a Makro Racer 2, Nokta CoRe and Equinox 800. I don't consider it a knock against my Etrac to have other specialty detectors, just a wise move on my part to have the right tool for the job.

Best of luck out there. Thanks for the post and pics. :thumbup: Appreciated.

Rich (Utah)

Thanks Rich! Yeah, I know that new technology does make for a good to great tool shed. I'm glad to be back here on the forum. My problem is that I detect the same old spots over and over and over again. Which makes me a real big believer in the fact that a spot or area is never hunted out, but has me feeling sometimes down because I'm dead in the water on some hunts. We have so much iron mineral in the ground, and even with my AT PRO, it's a terrible struggle to hunt. I guess that's why they call us the rust belt. I've been in spots where I swear somebody buried a parking lot full of 58 Buick's, it's that bad! Thanks for the kudos again! Good luck down there in Utah!

Ed