Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

#39 FTY - SAME PARK! SAME AREA!

Well as the old saying goes, no park is ever hunted out. I know that for a fact now!

Again HOT settings, low and slow. 20 minutes in I get a real good tone and VID that reads 5-29, 00-28 and no other #'s no matter how much I danced. Dug a pretty deep plug, about 6", and right at the bottom of the hole I get pinpoint signal loud and clear on the carrot. (A first in a long while that I was right on top of it!) Pop more of the bottom out and up on the grass in the tailings is a silver rim! And then, for the remaining 2.5 hours, nothing. But I'm happy!

Back in my early days of detecting I had gone over that area many times (including yesterdays' Merc.). But for some reason this low, slow and determined method with the settings hot as I dare make them, works. And believe me when I say that I am becoming very surprised. I was saying to myself on today's drive that there can't possibly be more silver there. It's been detected to death.

It is what it is, I guess!

GL & HH out there!

Ed

Ed,

I'm always amazed when I go to a site that has had a couple of inches of soil removed: tons more good targets. Not because they were too deep, but being masked by something.

How many silver you shooting for this year?

Chris

[size=medium]Low & slow is the way to go! Hunted out sites?? When I hit 600 keepers out of my favorite old park, I thought I'd NEVER get to 700- now I'm at 840 & counting. Keep going and GL!

-- Jeff --[/size]

Chris(SoCenWI) said:
Ed,

I'm always amazed when I go to a site that has had a couple of inches of soil removed: tons more good targets. Not because they were too deep, but being masked by something.

How many silver you shooting for this year?

Chris

Chris,

I'm hoping to hit a hundred. My best year was in 2015 with 107 and 90% of those came from long treks in the woods looking for RR camps, BSA & hunting camps. 2016 was 62 and last year was 72. But my count this year is a month and a few days ahead of last year so I have the chance to hit the hundred mark if I keep at it. It's so hot out though and I'm not an early bird in the morning being part time retired. Wish me luck. If the weather is warm through December I'm heading back into the woods!

Ed

JeffInMass said:
Low & slow is the way to go! Hunted out sites?? When I hit 600 keepers out of my favorite old park, I thought I'd NEVER get to 700- now I'm at 840 & counting. Keep going and GL!

-- Jeff --

Jeff,

Yes, keep going. I know how you feel now as to continually being amazed at how many silvers you can find in a park you thought was hunted out. Thanks for the kudos and keep at it yourself. I've only one area that I've pulled 50 plus silvers from and I have another 700 acres to search! But most was farmland long ago. Where the farmland ends and the old forests begin is a tough bit of hiking but when you find a Winter camp with bits of foil and rusted steel cans, (Wanna buy some shotgun head stamps?), that's when the hiking stops and the hunting begins. Otherwise, I'm averaging about 20 or so from each park I hit. Which still to this day amazes me.

Ed

There are coins down to several feet in depth on any detecting site you care to mention , years ago a farmer was digging a trench out for pipes laying in the field , a detector dealer i knew told me he had detected in the bottom of the 2 foot + deep trench and he found a small silver coin at 6 inches below the bottom , total depth of coin over 2 and a half foot from the surface.....

Sweeping-4-junk said:
There are coins down to several feet in depth on any detecting site you care to mention , years ago a farmer was digging a trench out for pipes laying in the field , a detector dealer i knew told me he had detected in the bottom of the 2 foot + deep trench and he found a small silver coin at 6 inches below the bottom , total depth of coin over 2 and a half foot from the surface.....

That's believable! Deepest coin I ever dug was a clad quarter at 14" with the 12x10 SEF coil on the SE Pro in what must have been fill. A farm field could have just about anything in it and deep. I've dug many a bridle buckle in farm fields here in Ohio at a good 12" with the 11" Pro coil. My arm isn't strong enough for a four hour hunt in that situation with the SEF!

Ed