Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3kHz Coil and a question

JohnA

I now have at least 150 hrs on this coil. As expected, and probably stating the obvious, it hits hard and ID's well at 28 and above but hits all over the map below that. I dig everything except iron and have found if there is a 10 or a 12 jumping around there is a good chance of the target being a nickel. Pulltabs are all over the lower numbers and the gold rings I have found didn't lock on either. I do just as well with the 2 direction approach with the coil as with pinpoint or prospect modes for pinpointing, but pinpoint and prospect modes give me good idea of the size of the target. We are sanded in horribly, so I may have to stay inland longer this spring. I guess I am a slow and patient hunter and like my Quattro. I have the 8" Minelab coil that has served me well. The question and request for advice is, would you recommend the 6" Excelerator/Quattro or 6"DD/X-Terra combo to grid out between the trash, probably better than the 8" Minelab? I am satisfied with the depth of both machines.Thank you in advance.

the target seperation with the 6" DD coil on the XT-70 is awsome and signals on the TID rarely bounce. In prospect mode the 6" coil is very very sensitive. Its an ideal coil for trashy areas and shallow creeks.
Cheers!

John,

Here's a couple posts related to your 3KHz experiences. I like to use it when I'm trying to look past the masking effects of surface foil & can slaw.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,506936,506991#msg-506991

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,431283,431283#msg-431283

I've never used a Quattro, but my reading of many posts indicate it is not a very fast recovery detector. Because of the speed of the X-Terra + 6 inch DD HF, I would give it the nod. Until you use that combo it's hard to describe how fast targets go by, and you don't have to swing it fast like some other detectors to get good depth & ID.

HH
BarnacleBill

both you and nugget71. You are spot on with the park pulltab/slaw/foil observation. In certain parks where there is a low likelihood of good low targets and time is short, the 3kHz will breeze through the area and cherry-pick the coins. I used both machines this AM and found only clad. Just recently some Quattro users posted about using the machine on High Trash mode, which speeds up recovery, although with some loss of target ID accuracy. It does work and well with the 8", with dimes and quarters still ID'ing correctly. The tipping points for me may be the overall weight differential between the machines and perhaps continued rave reviews on the 6"DD coil. Thanks again.