Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3rd party coils

kevinnc

How many here have tried 3rd party coils on the F75 and had trouble ground balancing or didn't feel like the machine ran right with them. I have tried 3 and none seemed to be really set up to run right on my F75ltd. I also have a T2+ with the same results with a Tornado coil made for the T2.

I don't have an F75 but I have had good results with 2 Mars coils and 2 Detech coils for my F19 and F5. I still use my Detech Ultimate as my main coil on the F19 for beach hunts. I use the Mars Tiger coil on turf where trash is low to moderate. No ground balancing issues. I use the coils mainly because they offer greater ground coverage and slightly more depth than the smaller stock coils.

I've used a NEL Snake on my F75 for several yrs, and a NEL Tornado on my Teknetics G2+ with nothing but good results.

The usual ground phase in my area is in the upper 50's to upper 60's.

The NEL coils seem to work fine on my F 75's. That's the only after market coils I've tried. I have found, however, nothing beats the Fisher 5" in heavy trash, its a laser, and Fishers 5 x 10 DD gets as good separation as the NEL Sharpshooter and seems to be a bit deeper......IMHO. HH jim tn

I've got the 5x10 DD on my t2+, and it does work great. When I try to Ground grab the Nel coils, it stays on 90 or goes up to 99. The soil here is normally in the 60s and 70s on the stock coil.

I've not had any g b problems with the NEL coils, but just like the Fisher coils better over all. My g b numbers are mid 60 to upper 60's, too HH jim tn

I always found on my F75's the stock Fisher coils worked best !!! The 5" is awesome for sure.. and the 11" gets all the depth you should ever need.
One other thing....Don't hesitate to turn that sens down... It many times makes for a smoother operation and has little to no depth loss....

The first aftermarket coil I tried on my F75 was a Russian made RIF Ranger 10x14" DD coil. It doesn't work very well. In fact it works so poorly I've never even tried to sell it. More than likely they sent me something else when I ordered it as it doesn't perform like their air test videos showed that caused me to order it. Who knows with the Russians. Very fast shipping though.

The second aftermarket coil I have tried on my F75 is the MARS Lion. It works very good in air. I'm still in the process of proving it for the ground. Might have a much better report for it next year.

My nickel.
HH
Mike

Good question---and one answer would be.-----In the case of the Sharpshooter & Snake with their proven performance.----They have "coil ears" centered rather than off center (for a little better balancing & handling).----Also, the Sharpshooter is a little lighter out there on the end of the stick than the FT 5X10 coil.----They are made of a tough material that can be used without a coil cover to further help a little with the weight.-----Performance is the REAL issue though & at least with these two coils it seems to be there.------As to other after market coils---some are "ok"---but---I would want to have assurance of their performance on a detector I was planning to use them on before I purchased them.------Your point is well taken----factory style coils are made/designed for the detector in question.
still looking 52 said:
Why take a chance on a 3rd party coil when you know the factory style coil is designed especially for your machine?

The 3rd party coils I have air tested great, just like in the videos I watched, but they were not set up right to ground balance with the F75 I have. I tried everything anyone told me, and it don't work. They run with a positive GB, at any setting. I saw a guy in a video ground grab one and the numbers stayed on 90, he went on hunting with it that way and didn't say anything about it. I don't know if he thought it had balanced or not. I sent one back for a replacement and the new one acted the exact same way.

I need more ground coverage than the stock coils can give. I look for the longest, narrowest coils I can find. If Fisher would just make a 4x18" or so DD coil I'd be happy for dang near forever.

HH
Mike

still looking 52 said:
Why take a chance on a 3rd party coil when you know the factory style coil is designed especially for your machine?

As D&P-OR said...performance.

I have the 10" elliptical concentric for my F70...this coil is unique and a favored accessory especially when looking for jewelry.

I have tons of hours with the 11" DD and found a ton, still very ergonomic on the Fishers and depth, separation, speed and sensitivity are all excellent.
My bigger Cors Cannon coil seems to do all this plus covers a bigger area however I got this one because I hoped it was more stable and quieter on my F70 and could handle EMI better...and it does that extremely well.

My 5" Fisher coil is probably the one I have spent the most hours with, surprising depth in both good and bad dirt, separation, speed and sensitivity are all awesome , in heavy trash and iron it is a huge asset.
I didn't think I wanted it needed another small coil to replace it but I traded a detector to a dealer for a Mojave and there was still money on the table so I had to pick out something else and I was going for a Nel Snake coil only because I was curious because I never used an aftermarket coil before...if I actually had to pay for the thing I never would have considered it.
The dealer would have had to order the Snake but he had the Sharpshooter in stock so I opted for that one instead.
Serendipity.
Turns out this was one of the most surprising and effective accessory I have ever purchased.
Yea, I took a chance and threw the dice but for me it turned out better than I ever hoped it could.
Matches the 5" coil in depth and I believe surpasses it a bit , super sensitive with stellar speed and separation...definitely light weight like the 5" and performs just as well as the small Fisher coil if not even better and gives me the feeling I am covering a larger area when swinging.
However, the big headline with the Nel is the stability...it is several degrees quieter around all EMI and all other noisy situations and believe me I have used both small coils in dozens of the same sites and compared them.
Quieter and greater stability means I have more setting options available to me, hotter, higher settings if I choose to use them and I usually do.I
The difference was shocking to me, I read that the Nels and Cors are supposed to have better shielding than factory coils and most owners reported back about being quieter with greater stability and I never thought there was going to be an extreme amount of a difference...but there was.
I haven't mounted the 5" coil since I got the Sharpshooter and I probably won't ever again, I have full confidence the Sharpshooter can and will find everything the 5" coil will and more.
I have never had an issue with ground balancing or anything else with either aftermarket coil.

The advantage aftermarket coil companies have is they can take a factory coil and redesign it to work better and are not hampered like the detector companies are for the cost of retooling their lines to to manufacture and improve a long time product to perform even better.
If Nel and Cors can make a better shielded quieter coil that works just as well in performance as the factory counterparts I am sure the factory can too...but they don't.
They sit on their butts and think the status quo is good enough.
Fisher moved to a new factory and had a great chance to change their coil manufacturing methods slightly and build their products even better with more shielding but as far as I know they didn't.
I guess they think most of their customers will just be brand loyal and ignore other brands but in the real world that just isn't as true as they hope, if it was companies like Nel, Cors, Mars and other aftermarket coil manufacturers wouldn't have gotten such a foothold here in the US and wouldn't have near as many stateside dealers and reps here as they do.
Every coil they sell is a comparable coil that is not purchased from FTP, you would think this would bother FTP enough to do something about it but I guess not.

If I hunted with an F75 or T2 with DST this might not have ever been an issue for me, quiet and stability is built into those detectors but I don't use them, I use a non DST F70 which is a powerful and hot tool that can be noisy and chatty in some environments.
I learned to deal with the noise, chatter and instability very well even in hotter settings but using a much more quieter and stable coil makes everything a whole lot easier and more efficient...a quieter less jumpy environment let's me concentrate on noticing better higher percentage targets in tones and behavior.
The more I am able to notice the more and better targets I am able to find in my mineralized iron and trash infested and EMI heavy sites.

I used to believe there was no better coil manufacturer than the companies that designed and made the detectors but I now have two aftermarket coils that proved to me this isn't true, or at least in the sites and dirt that I hunt, anyway.
I love being brand loyal but when I find a better designed and super capable accessory than offered from the manufacturer it is a no brainer...ya gotta go with what works the best.

They might work good on the older non DST machines, but they don't work right on the new ones. I have tried to Ground balance the Nel Hunter and Nel Tornado with low sensitivity/ all metal/ and manually. It never gets right. It locks up the ground grab system on 90 and sometimes 99. This is on 2 machines with 3 different Nel coils. I still have them if anyone has another idea that might work.