Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3rd Stroll with the Deus

corvair

Sorry, no pics.

My buddy and I got permission at a new site we had researched, now a farm field.
I was running Gary's "HOT" program as it seemed to work a little better in the field due to an extreme number of "hot-rock" or possibly magnetized rock interference. Anyway, after about the first 15 minutes I got a solid VDI in the Indian range and it turned out to be a surface Indian. Moved on and about another 15-20 minutes hit my very first V nickel. Hard to believe I have detected over 25 years and it is my first V. Anyway, happy with that.

About another 10 minutes and got a deep VDI that was telling me possible Indian, recovered target was an Indian. 4 feet later in same corn row got another Indian, the another 4 feet or so and got my 4th Indian.
Also dug a small heart shaped jewelry item with decorative engravings(copper) and got a seed bag lead seal. In addition dig up an OX shoe(similar to horse shoe, very large and are made in halves) and either a horse or OX harness buckle.

My buddy was hunting close by, called him over to get in on this "hot-spot". He picked up I think 6 or 7 Indians and 2 Morgan dimes. He uses an F75 and I consider him to be a superior detectorist to myself. I am slower and tend to really screen the ground with heavy overlap. One of his Morgans turned out to be an 1897 O mint marked dime, probably in Fine condition. Low mintage coin. I was really stoked for him and happy he found that and the other coins.

I have never encountered as many of the "hot-rocks" or magnetized rocks as I did in this field. Many would give a deep/small blip on the conductive side of the horse shoe but no VDI kinda like a deep coin would. After digging and passing the rock under the coil the recovered rock was indeed the target of question. Changing programs did not seem to help. Tried adjusting signal gain down to lower value but again, no effect. Did not hamper the hunt too much just caused me a few unnecessary digs.

Hoping to get back into this spot before planting starts, if not will wait until this fall to do so.

Sounds like you're at a good site and doing well with the Injuns, V nickels, and relics...

Are you running any Ground Notch? Try an "85" setting and I'll bet those hot rock falses go away - also use Manual GB if not already! There are more goodies waiting for you there!

"CZ" If I run a ground notch of 85 does that only notch out 85 or would there be a range of values removed? I was running manual ground balance values were running around 85/86.

"BerntOut" The 2 dimes my buddy got were Barber dimes.We sometimes refer to them as Morgans, sorry for the confusion.

You guys are killing it over there! Thanks for the clarification...I thought that was the case. Great finds and don't let your buddy get all the Barbers with his F75! LOL

corvair said:
"CZ" If I run a ground notch of 85 does that only notch out 85 or would there be a range of values removed? I was running manual ground balance values were running around 85/86.

Manual GB set at 85-86 will work for most areas unless extremely mineralized - but if has been working fine I would leave it alone :thumbup:

Running Ground Notch at "85" doesn't mean that targets reading "85" are discriminated. It has more to do with iron rejection than anything else - check out this vid if you haven't already - I have trouble explaining how ground notch works in my own words but he will display it...if the link is bad just search youtube for "deus settings regarding depth"

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0LEVoBBnDZVNo8AFLAnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?p=deus+settings+regarding+depth&tnr=21&vid=5A01E9CF517C5727E3785A01E9CF517C5727E378&l=485&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN.ei3zsyvjBlKfXfGqB2sLbA%26pid%3D15.1&sigi=11vhbg6b4&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkjuANf3J3yg&sigr=11b1hvudo&tt=b&tit=XP+DEUS+optimizing+settings+regarding+depth&sigt=11baii6t3&back=https%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Ddeus%2Bsettings%2Breagarding%2Bdepth%26ei%3DUTF-8%26hsimp%3Dyhs-002%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-002&sigb=13td5t5cm&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002