Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3rd time out with Makro Racer FIrst Wheat penny! 1940 nickel

noesosa

Found a 1951 wheat penny and a 1940 nickel I do not know if they are worth anything or how to clean them... any input would be appreciated.

Noesosa, I don't yet have a good way to clean the copper coins. I have a pile of
wheats that need cleaning but I have tried many ways suggested on here and I have
yet to find a safe effective way of cleaning copper. However, I use jewelry cleaner
for silver and gold that is sold at Wally World (W-M) and that works very well.
However, the jar says 20 second soak. That's for jewelry that is already clean.
Pulling the tarnish off anything takes longer. You have to give some of it more
like 2 hours depending on how bad it is. Those jars have a basket and brush for
placing your jewelry/coins in. Don't put it in there and say I'll be back later because
when you come back, your gold or silver plating may be gone. Stay with it, check it
every 10 to 20 minutes, take it out when you think you are there and brush the crevases
to see if it is clean. Remember, this is not a polish. There is a point at which you have
to realize it is not going to get any cleaner and if I leave it there, it will start eating at the
gold or silver. I do not use the included brush. I use a tooth brush. I just did a gold
pendant and you can see it on the CTX forum. There are a sterling silver heart and
Gamecock ring on there but I didn't clean either of them. The gold pendant was so
bad you could not even tell there was an eagle in the center. Take a look. Also,
it is missing some gold plating due to it being in the ground for the last 30+ years.

I'm thinking about throwing all my clad into the polisher I use for my pistol brass and see how the corn cob media does on the coins.

digginLa said:
I'm thinking about throwing all my clad into the polisher I use for my pistol brass and see how the corn cob media does on the coins.

I have tried cleaning the patina off the copper pennies, using my brass tumbler (with walnut shell media) and it didn't work. :rant:

I use a rock tumbler filled with aquarium gravel. Throw some dish soap and water in there and let it turn for a couple hours. Good as new. It cleans clad good enough for the change machine at the bank.