Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I seldom have accurate pinpoint readings with my Ace 250, especially with the 4.5
I think it's misleading in my opinion. At best its a best guess its giving me. I suppose its possible
to find clad (depending on its size and the mineralized aura) but I have
never found coins at the depths people are claiming for the 4.5 coil. Never, and that's in All metal mode with the
sensitivity pumped at max. I've hit on big objects at greater depths with the 4.5 but not coins.
Katz

The 4.5 reads depth at half the number the stock coil reads it. So if it reads 2 inches just add two inches for the actual depthg.

bill

If pinpointing with the ace 250 and the objects are found to be off where indicated, that is
usually from not being careful with the side to side and for/aft readings when pinpointing.
The side to side is very critical, and the bigger the coil, the more it can be off if not careful.
When using the sniper coil, which pinpoints totally different than the other coils, I use the
strength indicator to tell me the side to side and for/aft location.
IE: I'll find a target and swing side to side to see where the drop off in signal is for each side.
When you note the two drop off points, the object should be pretty close to the middle of
those two points, and the indicator should read it's maximum. Ditto with the for/aft readings.
They are just as important with that round coil. When I note the four drop off points,
where the two lines intersect in the middle marks the spot.
When using the stock or 9x12 coils, the side to side readings are very critical to accuracy.
And being as the coils are an oval, the side to side readings shrink down to a narrow
size once you near the "drop out" point. So when I reach the drop out point when pulling
back, I'll double check the side to side at that point. The width is very narrow, and it's
critical to be right in the middle if you want to be accurate.
The only part that is harder to gauge is the backwards location of very deep targets.
This is due to the pattern of the coil field. On a very deep target, the pattern of the
coil won't read the object with the front tip of the coil directly over it. You push forward a
hair, and the object shows up. That is because you have moved the lower cone of
the pattern onto the object. So, it can fake you out a bit, but the only direction it
should be is slightly back towards the center of the coil if you were careful on the side to
side readings.
It's possible to be very accurate with 250 pinpointing if you are careful with the side to
side measurements. I stab half my coins in place with the probe. Most are right where
I think they should be.
The better one can pinpoint, the less ground damage digging the object.
IE: I was reading the story about the "closed for detecting" park.. It's fairly obvious
someone in the past hit that park hard, and probably couldn't pinpoint worth a dang..
Hence.. Big pits dug to find small coins.. :thumbdown: And then they had the gall to
just leave the holes.. :(
Not saying you do this of course... Just saying.. Bad pinpointing equals more damage
to the ground.

Yesterday I was at a park tot lot and with a guy I just met there when he got a signal on his SS umax and began digging with his neat lil' plastic digger and he had gotten pretty far and asked me to see if my lil' puck would get a better idea of what and where it was. It picked it up! It was a tab at a measured 7" . The id kept bouncing from nickel to foil-it was one of the older small tabs from past years. The amazing thing was I was in sensitivity #3 'cause I was getting next to the playground equipment where he couldn't go. The bark chip was a little moist and I was in a/m mode.

Yeah I've stated before that that little hockey puck gets amazing depth for its size. Wha'd the Tesoro guy think of it?

Bill

Uncle Willy said:
Yeah I've stated before that that little hockey puck gets amazing depth for its size. Wha'd the Tesoro guy think of it?

Bill
The minute he saw it, he said that lil' puck was what he needed out there and he showed me that he couldn't hardly get closer that a foot to the metal bars. Actually, he had just about all the "high dollar" equipment like Minelab, Fisher, etc.- in his own words, "whatever it takes." I didn't think to tell him at what sensitivity and such I was in, he was enjoying himself. What I enjoy watching the most is their scanning- skipping sometimes two coil widths at a time. It's amazing sometimes that they find anything. The funniest I ever saw was a guy who on the backward sweep raised the coil up to his head , dipped it to the ground in front in front of him, and letting it follow throught to head height on the forward sweep- a perfect golf swing. When I tried to help him, he said he wanted the target right in front of him!:surrender: The amazing thing is that he found a few coins!

Yeah if ya do it right the target is pretty much where it's supposed to be but it takes a bit of practice and one can't get sloppy.

Bill