Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

4 X 7.5 Excel coil & Radio Shack 33-1253 Wireless Phones Part 1

tomtowns

Both got attached to the SE today and my first impression of the Phones is that they lack the high volume that I "think" I prefer. At first I couldn't seem to get them above a whisper but finally managed to get them cranked up to an acceptable level BUT the speakers sound CHEAP & when hitting an iron grunt they reverberate like a pair of speakers that are ready to blow. I do like the light weight & the fact that there is no cord but the first pair that I got yesterday had to be taken back this morning because the Jack broke out of the housing VERY easily & broke a wire...before I take them out in the real world for a hunt I'm gonna have to epoxy the whole jack & adapter to the housing of the transmitter to keep from breaking it again...I'll follow up after I've given them a fair shake....The little coil seems to be exactly as Mike in Va. Beach reported (AS IF I EVER DOUBTED HIM):lmfao:& I'm really looking forward to getting it out for a test drive & may be able to do so for a couple hours tomorrow afternoon...I did run it across the front yard but didn't dig anything. Looks to be able to seperate very well & hope I can post a few keepers tomorrow evening....TT

Turn the volume on your detector all the way up. That should give you all the loudness you will need. Also use a pigtail to the small amplifier. You don't want to hard mount the amp to a 1/4 to 3mm jack. Use the 1/4 to 3mm jack to the plug at the headphone jack and use a pigtail mail one end female on the other. :D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoil.

Hi Jerry,Radio shack doesn't carry a 3mm adapter they have a 3.5mm but The guy at radio shack said it was a 1/8 inch...do you think that might be the problem? The volume control on the earphone is up to max I have the volume at max on the SE gain at 7. I tried turning up the gain but didn't like the result. I'm useing epoxy on the adapter to the fm transmiter because like I said, I broke the first one very easily. The prong is held in place with a very soft rubbery type of gasket & WILL break loose under what I consider very slight pressure. Maybe the first one was defective but if I'm gonna be useing this thing detecting, it can't be breaking on me by getting a slight bump. Is there a reason I'm not aware of, that I should not epoxy it??? You also mention a amplifier...does it require an amp.???

Got a 1/4" to I guess it was a 1/8" jack where it will plug into the headphone jack or maybe that converts to a 3.5 MM plug. Anyway one end of pigtail is female it plugs into the little amp and other end (male) plugs into the headphone 1/4" to 1/8" or 3.5mm end. I put Velcro on the bottom of the little amp and one piece to the bottom out side lip (upper side) of my SE stand. I use a Swingy Thingy so I never lay my Exps on the ground. I have never had a problem with either set of my Wireless gear. The pigtail I bought was about 6"s long. Nothing flops around. I have mounted the little amp with Velcro to all my housings with the sticky back Velcro. Just play around with different set ups and find what works for you. Mine is plenty loud so maybe you need to take it back. I have my gain at 5 and 6 vol. all the way up. The only problem I had with a set was the little swivel plug end 1/8" mail end the amp was intermittent when it was wiggled so I took it back. Try to fix your setup so there is no stress on the little 1/8" mail plug on the little amp. Never had a vol problem though. My 2 sets work great it it is nice hunting in the woods. Hope this helps :D: :D: Jerry aka Tinfoil

I didn't think about useing a short cord for the "Transmitter" ...Duh My Epoxy should hold it OK. I really don't think it's an amp, I believe it's a FM transmitter...But wouldn't bet on it...I've already taken one pair back & since I've "Customized" it:lmfao:I think I've sealed the deal I'll probably get a chance to test it tomorrow because I don't think I'm working...Was gonna do it today but got off work too late...Thanks Jerry...TT

Well, I managed to get in about 1 1/2 hr. hunt this afternoon & the results are pretty predictable. Radio Shack headphones may work for some but not me. I tried them for about a half hour & managed to dig a penny & a dime, not as loud as Koss or my Jolly Rogers but were acceptable in my opinion for shallow targets. I don't believe they have the right stuff to pick up the Deepies...Just my opinion...also I think they are very cheaply put together...I had to quit using them because they started cutting out...this is the second pair...I wouldn't recommend them...others have had success with them but they are not for me. The little coil though proved it has the right stuff. I was in a VERY high trash area of pull tabs & pop tops that I found IMPOSSIBLE to hunt with the ten inch stock coil...Results in the next hour were much better 7 more dimes two pennies & 1 quarter. The deepest was a dime at about 5 inches. I have also tried this spot with a X5 & ended up empty handed & frustrated after about a half hour. I had to run the Sens. at 11 with the X5 & ran the 4X7 at 19...Like I said this is some very rough ground & I'm not really sure why...but when you crank the sens. up it starts "talking" to you like there are power lines beneath. This can't be the case unless about 40 acres are wired (about half the park)Speculation on the cause & possible cure are welcomed....

I have only gotten to hunt that one short hunt with it in the trash but noticed that my SE seems to like it very much...a lot more than the X5...I'm not bashing the X5 either...but being limited in my coil budget, the 4.5X7 seems to be the best choice for me...We have a rain storm moveing through the area today or I'd be out with it again today. One thing I noticed with the little coil is that it seems easier for me to tell by the tone volume, the deeper targets than it is with the stock 10". Could just be my inexperience with the Exp... I believe the only other coil I'll be getting will probably be a 12"...HH... TT