Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5.3, wrong choice?

JC99328

I got permission to hunt a state park. I don't know how old it is, but old enough to have some goodies. It's around 3-4 acres. I was expecting a lot of trash and put the 5.3 coil on. I've never really used this coil and only put it on once to check it.

I think it was the wrong choice for this park. I hunted an old ball field area. Hardly any trash and nothing good. My pard did find a 1949 wheat in the out lying area just beyond the edge of the field. I think the small coil just reduced the area I covered in 3 hours by at least half. It did prove out on 2 close pull tabs that I could separate with it...:rolleyes:

This is what came out of the ground in 3 hours (2 of us)
1-6-16b_zpstbpr2bzv.jpg

The bottom penny is the wheat (as if you've never seen a dirty penny). the small strawberry looking thing to the left of the pennies is?? might be silver or pewter. It still hasn't been cleaned up.
1-6-16a_zpsxtzb7ntj.jpg

I should note that I did not dig quite a few things in the low iron range or pull tabs which were giving me very certain tones.

I did some history digging and found the area was homesteaded around 1860. The park has been in use since then but my guess is it's the part of the park I can't go in. That part is on a river and most likely the area used then with water being there. I couldn't find more info on that. The buildings on the part I can hunt were built in the early 1930's. There's got to be some deep goodies out there. The area is prone to floods and silt layers could have covered some fairly deep too.

Yes, possibly the stock coil would have been a better choice on your first few runs at it. I can't see the small item you're talking about since your photo does not enlarge when I click on it. It's hard to find a nice clean park these days. Congratulations!

Glad to see someone getting out and finding some things. HH, Nancy

The small item is about 1 penny width to the left of the shiny penny. Not silver or pewter. It has a very slight magnetic grab with a strong magnet, not enough to even lift it. I'm not sure what it is but it is cast. Satinless steel or possibly some type of metallic plating over ???

I will head back out there on Sat.

I also have a 14" DD I'm thinking about trying there. Never used it either. It came with the detector when I bought it.

Still don't have a clue as to what it is. Your big coil would be great for open spaces but I bet it's a bit heavy after swinging it for a while. Good luck and HH, Nancy