Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5" Coil Setting Recommendations

hrefab

I have some work to do to get my Racer 2 dialed in, but it's coming along bit by bit. The nice thing is that there aren't 1000 adjustments to make to get the detector to work. You can only go so far out of whack. and even then, the machine will STILL detect. So with some careful studying of the manual, some air tests to see and hear the different tones and going out in the field and seeing what comes out of the ground, I'm doing okay. My question is what is the recommended settings as far as Gain (I know it will vary depending on the conditions) and two tone, three tone, beach etc. when using the small 5" coil.. I turn up the gain to 90 when using the large coil but i think that will overwhelm the small coil so I dial it back to around 60 or so. People say that it's a crazy deep coil so I'd like to know what the successful people are using with it. I can't complain at all, I'm very happy with the machine, It's already found silver for me in a hunted to death side yard and today I snagged another quarter from the soccer field. I know if I refine my settings more, I will have better luck. I dug a lot of soda and beer cans today, (Our High School Kids are THIRSTY!) but they tend to fool even the "Sophisticated Three Frequency" machines from time to time.

Small coil I use in three tone because I use it in the nails. Too much gain or sensitivity in the nails is headlights in the fog to me. So I run around 60 to 70. Some drop it into the 30's. I also drop the iron volume so the good tones are louder. Like you said the detector is simple to use. Just let it do it's thing.

I'd suggest experimenting with the gain for deeper targets prior to digging to get a 'live' feel for how it changes things...

Going to play with it more today. I needed a break from the V3i.. This one doesn't hurt my brain!:thumbup: