Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5 hours of driving thru two states.... only dug one hole...DEUS PRODUCED

craigV3

I headed south today from my house in Michigan to find a place without snow or frost... north west Ohio is a beautiful area with small towns and alot of potential but there was still too much frost to dig... I felt like the day and my used fuel was a waste, I pointed toward the house to spend time with my wife and daughter. Feeling bad of my hectic work schedule lately, my wife told me to hit a local spot and stay out as long as I wanted. I was sure the lwooded spots near my house would be thawed since they havent been frozen all year. The day seemed like a bust when I stepped out of the truck and tried to stick my shovel into the snow covered ground and found FROST :rant:

The location I went to had produced one large cent and one injun in the past but I was the one that dug the injun, not the largie. A good friend found the largie in the side wall of the cellar hole behind a rock. It was awesome seeing him dig the largie, but since that day I have really wanted to find one myself.. That moment has replayed itself it my head thousands of times since the spring of 2010. Feeling defeated with the present frost, I decided to check the north side of the cellar hole to see if the lack of snow meant lack of frost. The largie dug in 2010 was found less than 5 feet west of where I stood. My shovel sunk 11" down on the first kick, the only issue was the thawed area was 8 feet long and 3 feet wide...

I swung the area without any luck and decided to call it a day. As I exited the cellar hole I swung the top portion of the snow covered ground and got a short solid signal at 3"... Again, the frost was present but I decided to chip the area away with my shovel to reveal my one and only find all day. The shallow target couldn't be anything good.... so I chipped the chunk of frozen ground with my shovel and saw a nail fall out... re-checking the ice ball indicated a target was still there....

Picture #1 is what I stared at for 45 seconds and couldn't believe what I was seeing... I could partially read the word "america" on the side of the coin sticking out... It was too big to be a injun, and too dull looking to be a quarter..... I almost fainted!!!!! Ive hunted hard for the past 5 years and never found what I thought I was looking at.... further investigation and 1/3 of a second later I was holding a 1847 Largie!!!!! I immediately called my wife and said..... I just ...just......just dug......a LARGIE!! She was happier than I was, making the find my first largie and my most meaningful dig yet!!!

I wish my close detecing friends were with me to experience the entire incident.... All I could think of was how the moment was so exciting, but in a way, kind of sad... I was standing at a divot in the ground where a house once stood, where a family was born, kids were raised, and where memories were made.... now was just a empty hole in the woods with me standing there as the sun went down..... bitter sweet I guess......

"Z"

Great story craig, well done! :thumbup:

Nice, Craig. Had hopes of the weekend here in Indiana but starting to look like a mud bath. Good luck in the frozen North.

Don
HH

Congrats!! Isn't it odd that some of our best finds come after we have decided to call it a day and just take a few more swings, or swing on the way back to our vehicle and BAM, we hit a great target.

Wow... that is sweet! For those that haven't tried it, click on the pic to blow it up and see how fine the piece really is.