Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5 inch coils

yogaguy

Hi All. I was just wondering if a 5 inch coil is worth purchasing? I own the quattro, and have the stock coil and the 8 inch coil for it. I have been told the 8 inch coil will be good enough in those high trash areas, and that the 5 inch coil will just collect dust sitting on my shelf from not using it that often. I was told that it would take a veryyyy long time to search a small area with it, and that between the 5 inch coil and the 8 inch one I'm really getting close to the point of diminshing benefits between coils. I was just wondering how others felt about this, and if anyone owns a 5 inch coil and how often they really use it? Thank's all. HH. Sincerely, Randy

Hi Randy, I think the 5" coil is a nice addition to your aresonal of detecting equipment. They are very handy for working the areas under bleachers and around metal posts and playground equipment. By the way how do you like your Quattro Randy ? Ok best of luck to you and God Bless.

John Tomlinson, CET:minelab::coiltec::usaflag::csflag:

Well, I'm actually finally getting the hang of it I think :). I found four 5 cent trade tokens from about 1890 on some old farm property my uncle has up north. I used auto. sensitivity, and an 8 inch coil (the 10 inch I think was too big for the small area I was in). I had to go "very slow" and I repeat..."very slow" in a 6 by 6 ft. area which I believe was the porch at one time? The ground was a damp, black, sandy-type of soil. I found the tokens about 4-5 inches deep. But I did have to go very slow. I could go maybe an inch without the machine nulling out, (I was in coin/jewelry mode). So I would constantly have to go about an inch or two, stop and let the threshold reset, and then go about an inch or two again, over and over. But it did work. So I thought about the 5 inch coil. But after talking with my detector dealer he suggested that the differences between the 5 inch coil and 8 inch coil would'nt really justify purchasing the 5 inch coil. He told me he would love to sell me a 5 inch coil, but he really believed that already having an 8 inch coil was really good enough for what I'd like to be doing. There may be certain special caes where a 5 inch would work better than the 8 inch. But for the most part, the 5 inch would probably just end up on my shelf collecting dust. The stock coil and 8 inch coil are really the two "main" type of coils to have, in his opinion. So I'm not sure which way to go? Do you currently own a 5 inch? If so, how "often" do you find yourself using it? Thanks. HH. Happy Easter to you. Sincerely, Randy

Hi Yogaguy

I was having trouble in hi trash areas with the stock 10.5" coil and
thought about an 8" or 5" coil but I bought the (5" x 10" Joey coil)
that way I get the target separation of a 5" and sweep coverage of a
10" and depth somewhere between an 8 or 10" coil.

I love it.

Rick

Yogaguy,

I just purchased a 5" excelerator coil and love it. It is still punching 8" to 12" deep. There is spot that I am now working that I have found 1918 penny with my stock 10.5" coil but would not gop back to work this area without the 5". There is just way to much trash. The 5" coil is a grat addition to have just in case and the 5" excelerator was cheap. I would definatly consider it as a viable option for future hunts.

Gi'day Randy, I would have to disagree with your dealer regarding the difference in coil size, in that, if you detect in very high iron trash ground such as I do, that's where the smaller 5 inch coil would be better. When targets like these are close together, a smaller coil can make all the difference in preventing iron masking from one target to another, as long as your sweep speed is kept to a very slow movement. And when you work in very dense foliage, with twigs, branches and rocks everywhere, then the 5 inch is certainly the way to go. It would get in between the ground foliage a lot better, lessening the chance of knocking your coil around.I haven't purchased mine yet, but I will have to get the smaller coil soon, as I can see a bit of a disadvantage, in some areas, till I do get it.
HH Angela:detecting::)

Hi Angela, I have played around with the SunRay X5 on the Explorer II and it is pretty cool ! I wouldn't want to be without a 5" coil myself for sure . But I realized that you do need to use a very slow sweep speed with it. That's got to be a rather difficult process building small coils . But I'm glad they are available. I would like to start experimenting with building my own coils eventually. CU later Angela and God Bless.

John Tomlinson, CET:usaflag::minelab::coiltec::csflag::detecting: